Pop Quiz: MCF's Answers
Before I share my answers to last week's Pop Quiz, here are the bloggers who passed:
Curt, the Happy Husband
Jeff from a Golden World
Did I forget to mention that the exam was Pass/Fail? Everyone who took the quiz, passed. Now, on to those answers:
1) They're finally making the movie of your life and, after narrowing the role of YOU down to three actors, they've asked for your choice. Who are the three actors, and which person do you ultimately choose?
Greg Grunberg, John Cusack, and Ralph Macchio. I think Grunberg would be the most realistic choice.
2) You're at a fancy restaurant with your significant other, when your arch nemesis shows up with his gang to rob the place. You left your costume home tonight, and you wouldn't want to reveal your true identity unless there was no other choice. How do you handle this one?
I humiliate myself. I fall to my knees begging, “Please don't kill us! I have money! I'll pay you!” They're as disgusted as my date and when the villain nods to his underling to finish me off, I beg them not to do it in front of the lady. If the scenario plays out according to the rules of comic book logic, said lackey will then drag me to the kitchen out of site from everyone, where I can use my powers and/or honed natural abilities to take him out quietly. I then cut the power and duck back inside, taking everyone out one by one. Later I feign that I fainted in the kitchen and don't remember anything after that. She'll never go out with me again, but it's the price of being a hero.
3) 4 +X/8=15Y-23Z; solve for each variable.
4) They're turning my blog into a sitcom! Quick, who's playing me?
5) What was the scariest moment of your life?
After weeks of lightheadedness, sharp abdominal pains and evidence of internal bleeding, I finally had made an appointment to see a doctor back in the fall of 2000. I was barely eating during this period, because it hurt so much. I had made an appointment for a Friday afternoon, and was at my office in the morning when I felt extremely weak and dizzy. I went to the kitchen to get a bagel, and walking back to my desk thought I would fall over. I sat down in my chair, felt something go “pop” inside me, and the world receded. My ears began to ring as I felt numb all over and broke into a sweat. I tried to speak but had no energy. There was no pain, only a lightness, and as I set my head down on my desk I was sure I was dying. Somehow, after a few minutes, strength returned and with my head still down, I nudged the phone off the cradle and dialed my parents, telling them there was no way I would be able to make the fifteen mile drive back to the doctor's on my own. Ultimately, I made it to the doctor who hospitalized me, and a few days later they diagnosed it as a ruptured Meckel's Diverticulum, a pocket of tissue in the intestine that doesn't belong there, and only occurs in 2% of the population. Surgery corrected the problem, and the subsequent 11 days with a nasogastric tube down my nose were torture, as were the weeks recuperating at home after the staples were removed. Scary as it all was, I think the worst was that one moment in my cubicle when I felt pain, then tingling, then nothing as my body became something separate from my fading mind.
6) After much thought and deliberation, you realize the best thing you can do with your life is form your own team of superheroes. Keeping in mind that you don't actually possess any powers or a dual identity in this scenario, how do you go about selecting your team, what abilities do you look for in potential allies, and what do you call your group?
As the financial backer of the group with no powers other than a cloak and my vision, I'd ultimately hire a strongman, a beautiful telekinetic with a perfect body, a speedster, a shapeshifter, and someone with a super-brain who was good with gadgets and devices we'd need. I'd want them to be known as MCF's Minions but my money would only carry so much authority, and I'd be outvoted when the others chose the name Masters of MCF.
7) If a hypothetical train is traveling East at 70 MPH, and a hypothetical truck is traveling North at 55 MPH, then name 3 famous people you feel shouldn't be famous.
Richard Hatch, Kato Kaelin, and Joey Buttafuoco. Honestly, there are so many, so I just picked three across a span of three decades or so.
8) A freak accident caused by lightning or radiation or genetic engineering or whichever origin suits you, bestows upon you the ability to step INSIDE your television set and interact with the characters. Where do you go first, and why?
I go to Just The Ten of Us, because no one would think to look for me on an obscure sitcom spinoff about a family with eight hot daughters and because of the eight hot daughters. In sitcom reality I'd have a chance, especially if I tutored them with their homework.
9) After winning a karaoke contest, you're awarded the grand prize from a local radio station: you get to perform ONE song alongside your favorite group! Who do you sing with and what song?
”Alive” with Pearl Jam.
10) A blogger you read regularly posts a pop quiz. Do you take it? Please list your reasons either way.
Yes, because it's fun, gives me something to write about on a day where I might not think of anything, and it's a good opportunity to interact with neighbors, possibly better than those “parties” I threw during my first year of writing.
11) The quiz goes all the way up to 11.
But the answer to The Question is 42.