10.19.2005

PBW: Ladies Man

Some guys just have it. Girls just smile as they walk by, and they can elicit laughter through genuine humor and not at their own expense. The world is but a sea of happy female faces, beckoning them to swim.

I am not one of these guys.

Driving to work this morning, some road work resulted in three lanes merging into one, and whenever I graciously left room for one car to pull into my lane in front of me, two would attempt it. No one nodded or waved thanks, and many women stared straight ahead, keeping me in a peripheral zone of nonexistence and allowing them to move forward without restriction or obligation. At lunch, standing on line in a supermarket, an elderly woman behind me kept inching her wagon dangerously close to my heels, though I had no control over the speed of the cashier or the customer ahead of me. I stepped up to pay when it was my turn, even as that wagon again stopped shy of a collision, and she began impatiently and loudly slamming her groceries on to the belt. I stepped forward and grabbed my bags after paying, and as I walked back past the aisle she shoved the wagon forward with such force and speed, it would have knocked me into a newspaper rack had I not leapt a bit. And tonight, though there were still two other people in the gym when I left, the instructor not only beat us all to the parking lot, but nearly backed into me as I walked to my car. It was dark and she's always racing to close early so I could understand that, but as I crossed the next row of cars she sped around and zoomed past, nearly hitting me a second time with her IROC. As she peeled out on to the main road through a yellow light in a town where a 30 MPH is strictly enforced, I thought to myself that the only people who ever get tickets usually don't deserve them.

Yes, some guys just have a way with women and, on that note, I now present my paparazzi shots of J-No's wedding for tonight's Photo Blog Wednesday:






Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Rhodester said...

MCF, the ladies who rush through and don't even look in your direction, whether young or old, aren't worth knowing.

Someday Jerry's going to be your paparrazi- you just wait and see.

10/20/2005 11:59 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Yeah, those were just rude people--not gendered folk programmed to hurt you, even though it does seem that you get your fair share of alternative-weapon-wielding harridans.

And those are great photos of Mr and Mrs TRJ; I looked for a reflection, but you managed to avoid photographing yourself by accident.

10/20/2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Thanks for the good words, Dave.

Lorna, I manipulate images for a living. If I did want to use a picture that had an unfortunate reflection, I'd just airbrush it out in Photoshop. :)

Good thing, too. Sharp eyes, people....=)

10/20/2005 10:16 PM  
Blogger Xtine said...

maybe you were just having a bad day- there are so many self absorbed people out there....who wants an little old lady with grocery store rage anyway?

great post.

10/23/2005 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home