9.18.2005

Phantasmic Links 9.18.05

It's funny how God can address our concerns, if we care to listen. Just yesterday I was whining about my musical obligations, such as they are. As part of his sermon at mass this morning, the priest mentioned how the phrase “life is unfair” can be a mental trap. We might squander the talents we've been given and be tempted to give up with such a mindset. If we can't win, why even try? He offered alternatively that “life is hard”, because that phrase acknowledges challenge without concession. Mind you, the improbability in my life amuses others, so not writing about it would also be a waste of talent. But it is an interesting way to adjust one's viewpoint I thought, and in line with yesterday's musings about the struggle needed to survive or gain something of value.

My former music teacher is 85, and has been in and out of hospitals more and more in the last decade. At last night's parade we saw a drummer who also took lessons from him, who was old enough to have met him while he was still a school teacher. He informed us that he was in the hospital in bad shape and we should visit him sooner, rather than later. So, after we got home from today's job, my dad and I paid him a visit. He was half asleep when we got there, covered in bruises, and connected to various tubes and wires. Though his heart and his kidneys are weak, his mind is still as sharp as ever. He recognized us both, my musical Yoda, and asked how we were doing. We told him of various gigs we'd played, and my dad filled him in on a concert band they used to play together in. He lamented the fact that his grandson, now a junior in college, never really took to the trumpet. I remembered the toddler that would wander in during my lessons sometimes, and asked myself if that much time had really passed. He asked about my job, and if I practiced every day. I admitted that I didn't, but that the weekends kept me busy and in shape in the Summer. As he's done as long as I've known him, he shared his wisdom once more. There was no rebuke to his tone; he simply stated fact as he lay there, barely able to move, and told me that 20 minutes a day is necessary to stay in shape. Suddenly, my excuse about being tired when I get home from work seemed even thinner.

I hope he pulls through. He's scheduled for surgery later this week, followed by several weeks' recuperation in a nursing home. Things have been bad before and he's always pulled through, but time catches up with all of us. His mind is razor sharp; it's his body that's slowly breaking down. First as a schoolteacher, then later giving private lessons when he retired, he's taught generations of musicians, some of whom went on to make their primary living from music. A more inspirational human being I've yet to meet.

* * *


I apologize for the ”Tuesdays With Morrie” tangent, but I found the perspective I encountered several times today important enough to share. We now return you to tonight's regularly scheduled program, already in progress, this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

21 days remain for you to send me your votes and guest posts for Cloakfest 2005. Which of the linked overall parties do you like the best? Which individual entry stands out above all others? Remember, attendance and participation at past parties isn't necessary. Many thanks to those of you who've already sent in your votes and guest posts. As added incentive, each guest writer will recieve a mysterious “prize”...

Aim to misbehave...with LEGO Serenity.

The newspaper comic version of Peter Parker is apparently dumber than I am. Seriously, I've never shown up for a dental cleaning wearing my cloak...

Grow Cube--what will they think of next?

Speaking of forced segues, check out Cube's cat and dog impersonating the weather.

It might defeat Cobra, but Does it get good mileage? Hat tip to Rey.

Speaking of G.I. Joe references...

Rock...paper....devil?! DRAGON?!

Enjoy this collection of various Stop Motion Shorts.

Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! I'm sorry if that offends anyone.

Ambigrams, whether symmetrical or asymmetrical, are just the sort of thing that graphic artists like myself might appreciate.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens? Actually, I'd say it's the exact opposite--be warned or be traumatized...

This maze would be a LOT easier without the time limit. Of course, it would be a lot less of a challenge. I gave up at level nine....for now.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Let's demand that Lego actually make Serenity kits!

9/19/2005 9:16 AM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

I once met Tom Hanks' high school drama teacher. I said, "Wow you must be an excellent teacher, can I take your class?" to which he replied, "I'm nothing special, Tom is just an excellent student. But I DID retire after he made it big, because I could never top that!"

9/19/2005 12:08 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

BTW, having never had the pleasure of meeting your elderly muse, I guess I should just get me one of these

9/19/2005 1:01 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

It's nice to hear that you decided to visit him, even after he's long stopped being your music teacher. It's little things like that which make a difference.

9/19/2005 4:51 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

khaaaan! Too funny!
Check this out!

9/19/2005 8:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home