1.25.2008

275 Movies

I've done some rough math that may be slightly off. I average about 5 movies a week at home, and I make it to the theaters at least 15 or 20 times, more or less. So I figure I watch 275 movies a year. And yet, every year, when Oscar nominations are announced, I find that I've not only missed most of the movies, there are a few I haven't heard of. I'm still catching up on previous years, and I may or may not do Myclofig predictions/awards when we get closer to the actual ceremony next month. Since I saw the list over at Swimming In Champaign, I decided I'd weigh in and see which I've seen, which I want to see, and which ones I didn't even know about:

BEST PICTURE
ATONEMENT Want to See It
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN Want To See It
MICHAEL CLAYTON
THERE WILL BE BLOOD Never Heard of It
JUNO Want to See It

BEST ACTOR
Johnny Depp - SWEENEY TODD Saw It
Tommy Lee Jones - IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH Never Heard of It
Daniel Day Lewis - THERE WILL BE BLOOD Never Heard of It
George Clooney - MICHAEL CLAYTON
Viggo Mortensen - EASTERN PROMISES Want to See It

BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett - ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE
Laura Linney - THE SAVAGES Never Heard of It
Marion Cotillard - LA VIE EN ROSE Never Heard of It
Ellen Page - JUNO Want to See It
Julie Christie - AWAY FROM HER Never Heard of It

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Javier Bardem - NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN Want To See It
Tom Wilkinson - MICHAEL CLAYTON
Hal Holbrook - INTO THE WILD
Casey Affleck - THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD Want to See It
Philip Seymour Hoffman - CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR Want to See It

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Amy Ryan - GONE BABY GONE Want to See It
Cate Blanchett - I'M NOT THERE Want to See It
Ruby Dee - AMERICAN GANGSTER Want to See It
Saoirse Ronan - ATONEMENT Want to See It
Tilda Swinton - MICHAEL CLAYTON

BEST ANIMATED FILM
PERSEPOLIS Never Heard of It
RATATOUILLE Want to See It
SURF'S UP

BEST DIRECTOR
Joel and Ethan Coen - NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN Want To See It
Tony Gilroy - MICHAEL CLAYTON
Jason Reitman - JUNO Want to See It
Paul Thomas Anderson - THERE WILL BE BLOOD Never Heard of It
Julian Schnabel - THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY Never Heard of It

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Joel and Ethan Coen - NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN Want To See It
Sarah Polley - AWAY FROM HER Never Heard of It
Christopher Hampton - ATONEMENT Want To See It
Ronald Harwood - THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY Never Heard of It
Paul Thomas Anderson - THERE WILL BE BLOOD Never Heard of It

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody - JUNO Want To See It
Nancy Oliver - LARS AND THE REAL GIRL Never Heard of It
Tony Gilroy - MICHAEL CLAYTON
Brad Bird - RATATOUILLE Want To See It
Tamara Jenkins - THE SAVAGES Never Heard of It

* * * * *


I watched about 275 movies last year, and only one was nominated for an award. I have, as always, some catching up to do...

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Juno is good once you get past the awful soundtrack and the completely unbelievable dialogue. Good performances from Ellen Page and Michael Cera save the movie. No Country For Old Men is the best movie I saw last year. If I gave a crud about the Oscars, I'd be rooting for No Country. I need to write reviews of those two films sometime.

1/25/2008 6:27 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I remember watching Hard Candy and being floored by Page's performance("Kitty Pryde can act!"). I definitely need to check her out in Juno.

I had No Country For Old Men down as a "never heard of it" originally, but then when I saw it was Coen brothers and started coming across photos, I realized I HAD seen the trailer a while back and thought "I need to see this!" but for some reason the title didn't stick in my mind. Life is an uphill battle where the incline only gets steeper.

1/25/2008 9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home