1.19.2008

Monster Takes Manhattan

After months of anticipation, I finally know the secret of Cloverfield. I wasn’t sure if the artist’s rendering I came across the other day was accurate, but what i saw on screen was in fact a far more horrifying version of this sketch:



Terrifying.

I’ll actually try to avoid true spoilers and stick to vague allusions. The much-anticipated J.J. Abrams project lives up to the hype, though the shaky camera movements may cause dizziness and nausea for those prone to that sort of thing. Half the people I saw it with were fine. I found relief by occasionally focusing on something stationary in the theater and looking away for a few seconds, but that’s my only complaint.

If you don’t own a television or a computer, you might not be familiar with the film. Otherwise, you’re aware of the shaky footage that shows New Yorkers fleeing as the head of the Statue of Liberty crashes on to a street and buildings and bridges collapse. We see people running and we see military firing up at something. What are they running from? What are the army guys shooting at? Do you actually catch a glimpse in the movie? More than a glimpse?

The premise is interesting and the film doesn’t deviate from the limitations of it. A going-away party goes horribly wrong when this thing arrives, and the guy filming it keeps rolling. The entire movie is from this point of view, which puts you directly in to the action. It’s like a roller coaster, but mercifully short. At about an hour and fifteen minutes, I’d say it was the perfect length. And because the taping is being done over an old tape, they slyly work in “flashbacks” from time to time whenever the taping stops and the original footage comes through. Watch carefully, as there are clues in the background that even I missed.

My only complaint outside of the film was the young audience, rowdy high school kids who reeked of marijuana and were giggling and making comments. This subsided once the film made the transition from character development party scenes to fleeing and survival. Apart from the durability of the camera and the nature of the threat, the film is otherwise “realistic” in its depiction of how a disaster like this would go down. Characters do make some irrational, emotional decisions, but their motivation kept me on the edge of my seat. As a general observation of films, I realize I’m more invested in the fate of couples. Once someone’s mate is taken out of the equation, I lose interest in the survivor, like there’s no real reason to keep him or her around. As long as there’s even the slimmest chance of a reunion though, I’m hooked on the tale.

Abrams has always done well with twenty-somethings, and the cast of relatively new faces is very convincing. Their journey through hauntingly familiar ruins is made lighter by Hud, the character carrying the aforementioned indestructible camera. A lovable loser, his comments and narration were great. In one scene, he gets a little too eager when the girl he’s crushing on references a comic book character. If I had a nickel for every time...

In the end, Cloverfield delivers. Without deviating from that single tape, we get a complete story of friendship, love, and horror. I’ve read complaints that the film lacked answers, but these were probably from teenagers cracking wise instead of listening to key bits of dialogue and watching the background carefully. All the information we need is on this tape, even if the main characters lack the omniscient point of view a mainstream monster movie would have presented. Some stuff can be pieced together, some can be theorized, and some isn’t important in the grand scheme of the experience. Experience is the key word, and the key to appreciating Cloverfield.

10 Comments:

Blogger SPM said...

I haven't seen it yet, but that was a great review, well written and interesting.

I think you should do more reviews.

1/19/2008 8:56 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

I agree with SPM.
Cloverfield doesn't sound like my kind of movie though - I wanna know all about the monster.

Also, check out this link, it's a company in my area!

1/19/2008 6:04 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Everyone agrees with SPM. My daughter has seen it and is already keen to get back. Dave and I were to have seen it as well, but family stuff got in the way. Maybe I'll just come back and read your spoilerless review

1/19/2008 9:11 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

Excellent review! And if you should happen to find a clip about what we discussed send the link and call my cell so that I can check it out before it gets pulled ;)

1/19/2008 9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been known to terrorize major cities when I have the time...

1/20/2008 1:37 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I'm curious about it. Yesterday I was reading some forum or other and someone had posted a link to a jpg of, supposedly, the Cloverfield monster. I thought about it, but ended up not clicking the link just in case I do end up seeing it. But now I wonder if the link was actually a link to a jpg of something funny.

I should have read further into that thread.

1/20/2008 8:04 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

You're a rollercoaster junkie D, it's right up your alley. If you find that thread though, bookmark it and wait until AFTER you see the film before checking the pic. An artist's rendering doesn't do the movie justice, but I still think it would be better to go in cold.

1/20/2008 9:33 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Well, we just saw it and we both really enjoyed it. You're right, going in cold is the way to go. All in all it was solid fun and I wouldn't mind a second viewing. I'm dying to know what B13 was referencing above ... was it a shot of the monster? I hate to pry but ... oh, hell, the truth is, I'm just fine with prying.

1/22/2008 9:31 PM  
Blogger cube said...

I can't wait to see it. I'm going with my youngest daughter who seems to have inherited my monster movie-loving gene.

1/24/2008 10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the shaky camera approach. For me it spoiled Blair Witch so I think I'll give it a miss.

1/26/2008 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home