1.23.2008

PBW: Red

Before we get to this week's Photo Blog Wednesday, a collection of images bound together by a common color, I should note Heath Ledger's untimely demise. Found dead in his apartment near a bottle of pills on Tuesday, details are still sketchy as to whether the 28-year-old actor committed suicide or suffered from an accidental overdose. Other than recent comments about having trouble sleeping while working on his soon-to-be legendary final role, and a video of an interview in which his behavior seemed erratic, there aren't many clues. Whatever the reason, it's sad when we lose someone so young, and all too common in the entertainment industry. I hadn't even heard that Brad Renfro was found dead at the age of 25 just one week ago until I came across it today. Both actors were also fathers, and my thoughts and prayers are definitely with their families.

It seems as though Death has been working overtime lately. A friend lost her father over the weekend. On Tuesday morning, a company e-mail announced the unexpected loss of an employee's mother. Tuesday night, a neighbor called, and when my dad handed the phone to my mom and I heard her gasp “Oh my God”, I knew it was more bad news. One of her friends lost a son to Leukemia, and he was only 49. “This is why I don't like to answer the phone,” she quipped grimly. Make the best of your time, folks. Even though we all know what will happen to us and our loved ones, we never know when.

Sorry to lead on such a down note. Let's just look at some pictures now:












Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Feeling a bit angry?

1/23/2008 1:40 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I was always kinda indifferent about Heath Ledger as an actor. I though he was OK in a few films and that his performance in Brokeback Mountain was basically an overrated Tommy Lee Jones impression. I was initially totally opposed to him playing the Joker, but I've been saying since the full trailer came out that I think I was wrong, that he'll be great in the roll. Part of me is still waiting to hear that his death is an ugly internet rumor.

And if you really wanna get good and mad about something, read this.

1/23/2008 3:21 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I liked A Knight's Tale. I thought he was good in Monster's Ball and okay in The Patriot, but both of those films were really about the respective fathers of his characters and his role was supporting in each. My main issue with Brokeback(aside from the scene I had to fastforward, sorry), was that it was just one giant tale of infidelity. They can't be with each other, so they go off and marry these women. But then they go on "fishing trips" and are together anyway, but its worse because they're breaking commitments with other people. I guess that's more an issue with Ang Lee though and not a comment on his acting.

Otherwise, I don't think I've seen any of his other films, but after the Dark Knight trailer hit I was really looking forward to his Joker. I still think it's going to be great, but I'll have that same feeling I had when I saw the Crow and Brandon Lee was already gone.

And that link is just ridiculous. I HATE people who pick and choose from scripture to put others down, not just because its twisting the message but because folks like that make people lump ALL of us together as "religious nuts". They're going to protest what he did in a work of fiction and not object to anything he did in real life? They're okay with him having a child out of wedlock, or the possibility that he commited suicide? I know things are pointing toward it being accidental now; I'm just making a point. I hate when people forget "let he who is without sin cast the first stone" and "judge not lest ye be judged." The point is we're ALL sinners in our own way and it's up to God to judge. I actually wasn't feeling angry when I spotted a Cardinal and decided to photograph anything red that day. Now I'm a little annoyed.

"She said that those who call her and other members of Westboro Baptist Church bigots must also think God is a bigot."

Uh, yeah, if you claim to represent God, then people are going to take your stance on things as His. Good job spreading peace and love, idiots.

1/23/2008 10:50 PM  
Blogger cube said...

I can't say I've seen Ledger in anything but interviews and then he's always grabbing at his face or his ear. I can't really judge any of his work.

I feel bad for his daughter. She'll never get to know her dad.

1/24/2008 10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home