2.25.2007

2006 Myclofigs



Hello, and welcome to the 2006 Myclofigs! Will my extensive experience in watching movies allow me to predict the outcome of this year's Oscars, even though I haven't actually seen most of the films that were nominated? These are going to be guesses, educated and otherwise. I'll do my best, and even if the movies I choose don't win an Oscar, at least they'll have their Myclofig.


Performance by an actor in a leading role:
Will Smith in “The Pursuit of Happyness
This looked like an inspirational movie, high on my list of film priorities. Will has come a long way from hip hop and sitcoms, and established himself as a solid actor. I expect this more mature role to be a departure that shows his true range and talent. Oscar will probably say differently here, but this is my pick.


Performance by an actor in a supporting role:
Mark Wahlberg in “The Departed
Again, I'm picking the movie I most want to see, and a star who began in music and proved his talent on the big screen. This is probably another longshot as predictions go.


Performance by an actress in a leading role:
Kate Winslet in “Little Children
I don't know much about any of the films in this category, so this is a complete guess and wishful thinking, since I think she's due for an Oscar.


Performance by an actress in a supporting role:
Jennifer Hudson in “Dreamgirls
I really want to see “Babel” most out of the films in this category, but Dreamgirls has gotten a lot of buzz, and I've read that Jennifer Hudson was an American Idol finalist, so that may play in her favor.


Best animated feature film of the year:
Happy Feet
Before I saw Happy Feet yesterday, “Monster House” would have gotten my vote as the only one of the three in this category I had viewed. I was very impressed with the animation and more mature story of that one, with some genuinely scary moments and motion capture technology that brought the essence of the voice actors into their animated counterparts. But Happy Feet was a lot more than penguins dancing and singing, as I expected, and actually had more of a classic animated story that will make it a timeless classic while Monster House becomes a seasonal favorite. Not only did I like the outcast underbird hero and his plight to prove himself, some real-world concerns were brought in to the story and kids will get a message as well as catchy songs.


Achievement in art direction:
Pan's Labyrinth
I've been looking forward to this ever since Otis posted the trailer. It looks magical and unreal. The sea creatures in “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest” impressed me and they seamlessly interacted with the human characters, but I don't know how well the Academy will consider a sequel.


Achievement in cinematography:
Pan's Labyrinth
If Pan's Labyrinth doesn't get art direction, it will get cinematography. If it doesn't get cinematography, then one of those two movies about magicians that I need to see will probably win this one.


Achievement in costume design:
Marie Antoinette
Kirsten Dunst looks really good in the trailer. ‘Nuff said, true believers.


Achievement in directing:
The Departed”; Martin Scorsese
This looks like a fantastic story with a phenomenal cast, and the type of thing Scorsese excels at. I can't wait to see it, and though the current demand for it at Netflix means I'll have a long wait, I really hope it wins.


Best documentary feature:
An Inconvenient Truth
It's the only one I heard of in this list, and B13 told me it was very thought provoking. Yes, I'm afraid that's my only basis in this category. I hope no one is taking my awards too seriously...


Best documentary short subject:
Two Hands
I can't help but root for the true story of a pianist who overcame a disability.


Achievement in film editing:
Babel
If it's edited anything like Iñárritu's earlier film, 21 Grams, I expect it to be very sharp and distinct as it intercuts separate yet connected lives and plots.


Best foreign language film of the year:
Pan's Labyrinth
The more categories I choose for this one, the odds will increase toward me guessing correctly at least once.


Achievement in makeup:
Apocalypto
In true improbable fashion, the one category in which I don't guess Pan's Labyrinth is probably the one it will actually win. I personally loved “Click” and thought they did an excellent job aging the characters, heartbreakingly so in some instances, but I can't see that being enough to compete with recreating ancient tribes or manufacturing mythical creatures. This will go to one of the other nominees for sure.


Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score):
The Queen
This was a tough one. I watched the trailers to get a sense of the music, hoping that the trailers actually used some of the actual scores. I'm doubt they did, so I expect to be way off in this prediction.


Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song):
Listen” from “Dreamgirls
I listened to all five, and chose the one I thought was the best.


Best motion picture of the year:
The Departed
I'm a fan of the director and of the cast. I'm rooting for this one.


Best animated short film:
No Time for Nuts
I loved Ice Age and I haven't seen the sequel yet or any of the shorts in this category, but Scrat cracks me up and I could easily relax into a vegetative state watching his mindless pursuit of that acorn. With time travel thrown in, I'm betting this is a great one. If I have time, I'll see if I can find these online and amend my pick if necessary.


Best live action short film:
Helmer & Son
Based solely on the descriptions, this is the one that stood out to me in this category. Again, I may amend this if I have a chance to watch these.


Achievement in sound editing:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
From creaking boats to crashing waves to sword clanging swashbuckling goodness, the sound editing was tight.


Achievement in sound mixing:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Um...they also mixed up the sounds real nice.


Achievement in visual effects:
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
This was the only category in which I'd actually seen every movie, so it was tough to choose. In all three instances, we really didn't see anything we hadn't seen before since they were all sequels and/or remakes. “Poseidon” was a very tempting choice but Pirates is ultimately the better movie, and did more to outdo its predecessor.


Adapted screenplay:
Borat Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan
It was so wrong, and so funny. Technically, the best bits were the ones that weren't scripted, but since those wouldn't have been possible without the right prompts, props go to the writing.


Original screenplay:
Pan's Labyrinth
OK, I'll give this one another vote. I'd be happy if “Letters from Iwo Jima” won too, but Pan's Labyrinth seems to have the most imaginative blend of fantasy and historical events, while many of the others are too rooted in things that actually happened.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I've printed out your predictions and will use them to prove why watching the Oscars can be worth it.

2/25/2007 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home