10.07.2008

Another Mental Health Day

Maybe it was because I had a gig on Sunday and could use an extra day to rest. Maybe two busy weeks at work and a cold had taken their toll and I wanted to catch my breath. Perhaps it was the realization that it's October and I need to use nine more vacation days before the end of the year, or four at the very least since I can carry five over until March of the following year according to company policy. Honestly a combination of all that and more, Monday proved to be a nice mental health day for me.

Of course, my subconscious isn't always on the same page as the rest of my brain. My day off started at the office, as I met with marketing to finalize an ad that had fallen under particular scrutiny. We came to an agreement, and I felt good as I walked back to my office on the other side of the building with clear direction and a definitive action plan. At this point I woke up.

After a quick trip to the post office and some breakfast, I settled in front of my computer to get stuff done. The plan was to tackle the always gargantuan task of summing up a year's worth of posts for the latest Cloakfest. I have two parades next weekend and there's no way I can write all that in one night. On the “Wasting-My-Life-Playing-Games” front I made significant progress in Gemcraft, and should beat that soon, which will free up a lot more time for important stuff. A few rounds of that distraction later, I actually concentrated on my original plan and made it through the first three months of summaries, leaving only nine to go through in the next six days.

The clouds of the morning gave way to some sun, but before I could take pictures I had a neglected lawn waiting for me. Parades, feasts, and inclement weather kept me away from the lawnmower for at least three weeks, and if I'm being honest there were also a few spider webs I chose not to disturb. But now the webs are all but gone, and leaves are beginning to fall. It was weird actually feeling cold while pushing the lawnmower. We'll be cleaning off the radiators and turning on the heat fairly soon, I think. When I find myself dressing in layers for bed, I know it's time.

Finally, I was on the road with my camera, and enjoyed a pleasant walk on a beach and a pier. Tune in tomorrow as always for photographs. Friday is my parents' anniversary, so a department store was my next stop. When I got home, I planned to go through more of my archives, but somehow ended up playing Gemcraft until the ridiculous offering of shows that is Monday evening began. Then I just collapsed in front of the television for nearly four hours. Oh Sarah Connor, your “limited commercial interruption” proved to be both a blessing and a curse.

So, it was both a productive day and a relaxing day. I probably could have used a little more productivity at some times, and more relaxing at others, but in either case I accomplished things I couldn't sitting in my office, and I feel recharged and ready to tackle Tuesday. I'll do this a few more times before the year is over. Sometimes, a body just has to stop to see how far it can go.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

'gig', lol

10/07/2008 9:16 AM  
Blogger cube said...

Mental health day? I don't get those which is why my mental health is in the state it is.

10/08/2008 12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home