10.02.2008

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XVIII

Have there really been 18 Things I've Learned Thursday editions? I wonder if it's reaching the point of fatigue yet. I suppose when it does, that will be another thing I learn.

* You may recall my Mantis friend from my car's taillight and yesterday's Photo Blog Wednesday. It disappeared so quickly, I felt I had to research, and learned that they do have wings. I've never seen one fly, but then they usually freeze in place and remain very still when they detect an observer. Another scary practice that may or may not be the result of observation is something called Sexual cannibalism, in which the female bites off the head of the male after mating, and occasionally during. I've never been so glad to be a human being in my life.

* I learned that the CW is planning a new series entitled “Grayson”, which chronicles the life of a young Dick Grayson before he became Robin, in the tradition of Smallville. I expect major plot points to include near misses with frayed ropes, and the obligatory “circus freak of the week” formula for antagonists.

* Always think before sending out an e-mail. Years ago, my first instinct was to respond immediately to every question and request. I've learned to wait a bit in case more information surfaces, or my supervisor or other members of my team would respond differently. The appropriate amount of time varies in each situation, but if you answer within five minutes with a gut response, the risk of stepping on toes or creating the false appearance of having too much free time increases.

* Taco Bell's hot sauce enhances the cheese dip they serve with their nachos, and mixing the two before dipping is simply amazing.

* Realizing I needed to stop referring to him as ”Darryl” whenever I see him in roles outside The Office, I finally looked up his real name: Craig Robinson. Hopefully I'll remember that.

* If you spot a police car partially concealed on the side of the road, or approach known hiding places, never step on your brakes. If you need to reduce your speed, do so in the more subtle fashion of easing off the gas pedal in anticipation of an encounter.

* My blood type is O+, which makes me a Universal Donor, because people of all blood types are compatible to receive transfusions of my blood. For years I'd always forget what my type was, but this year I finally got a Blood Donor card. I think last year I didn't get one because I just showed up on the day and didn't register for the drive ahead of time. As O+, while I can donate to anyone I can only receive transfusions from another person with type O. A person with AB blood is a Universal Recipient, as he or she can receive A, B, AB, or O blood; it's all good. A can receive A or O, and B can receive B or O. As I've always suspected, my greatest strength is my greatest weakness.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home