1.28.2008

Phantasmic Links 1.28.08

The Simpsons have now been around since the late ‘80s. Because the characters never age, at any given time a flashback episode might go against previously established “canon”. If Bart, the eldest child, is always 10 years old, then any story about his parents from before he was born will always be 10 years ago. So it is that the latest episode, That ‘90s Show, takes a look back at the decade before Homer and Marge settled down, contradicting previous flashback episodes as well as the fact that the show has been airing since 1989. Of course, once you get past that bit of continuity smudging, it was a pretty funny episode. My favorite part would be when Homer starts a grunge band and, while playing on a college campus, inspires a student to call his cousin: “Hey Kurt! It's your cousin Marvin...Marvin Cobain. You know that new sound you've been looking for? Well listen to this!”

That Back to the Future reference will never get old for me, no matter if I've seen it before. What is old is me. As I wondered how we could be looking back on the ‘90s already, it occurred to me that it's 2008 and we're almost through whatever we're calling this decade. A few days ago I read about the resolution of a 15-year-old X-Men plot thread and couldn't believe that it had been so long since I read those stories. While I'm pondering the increasing speed with which time passes, let's all pass some time by clicking this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

(1) Myclofigia has now passed 100 citizens and we're building up our transport network! Your clicks will help our city become #1!

(2) I loved this impressive list of 117 ways David Banner was made angry enough to change into the Hulk on The Incredible Hulk television series. Isolated like that, it really makes it seem like the show was slapstick. I lost it by the time I got to "I DON'T HAVE TWENTY-FIVE CENTS!!!" Classic.

(3) My Cloverfield review is one of many in this week's Carnival of Cinema. Be sure to visit and check out the others.

(4) In possibly related news, is one of our satellites about to fall to Earth?

(5) ‘90s nostalgia is rampant lately. Check out what the internet looked like in 1996. Wow.

(6) This artist uses lookalikes to make her photographs seem real. Question the paparazzi; it's easy to fool our perceptions.

(7) The 100 Greatest Movie Posters of All Time are an inspiration. My personal favorites include #s 2, 3, 7, 10, 14, 28, 42, 45, 66, 84, and 95. I've seen a little more than half of these, so the advertising may be effective.

(8) I am officially dumber than a chimp. I got 2 right to the monkey's 8 on my first try and 6 on my second.
Hat Tip: Darrell.

(9) This is another reason why Jerry O'Connell is my hero. Take that, Scientologists.
(Darrell and Lyndon also posted that same video this week).

(10) Hitler sure has strong feelings about football.
H.T.: Otis via Darrell.

(11) Bill Clinton nods off during an MLK speech. Classy.
H.T.: Cube

(12) 33 Weird Statues from Around the World make me wish I'd traveled more, but reminds me how the internet can bring the world to us.
H.T.: B13.

(13) Cross-medium advertising is alive and well: Lost references appear in Marvel Comics.

(14) Cultural icons gather for a very exclusive party. That's an amazing painting.
H.T.: Rey.

(15) Finally, since I still have hard feelings about losing to that monkey, I'm going to take his muffins.


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Great collection of posters... but how could you pick #45 and not #79... seeing that the idea was used before?

1/28/2008 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home