5.31.2007

ReRocked.

When Howard Stern left the airwaves for satellite radio, New York's K-Rock panicked. Their first brilliant idea was to take an FM rock station and turn it into talk radio, all day every day, with the exception of weekends. Their second brilliant idea was to put rocker David Lee Roth on in the morning as Stern's replacement. When that idea bombed, they brought in Opie and Anthony. Rechristend FREE FM, the station was poised for an eventual departure from my car's presets. I never did remove it, but most of my time was spent with the surprisingly good variety of the eclectic 101.1 Jack FM, or the classic rock of Q104.3. I remember when I first started listening to the Q, when they played alternative and 80s rock closer to K-Rock's fare, before they switched to the classic format. Now I'm actually old enough that the stuff I was listening to in the ‘90s is considered “classic”, and that station is again a place I can find Nirvana. I don't think I'm that old, but then in a digital age of music I'm sitting here writing about radio.

The FREE FM experiment ultimately, and not surprisingly, failed. KROCK is BACK. Opie and Anthony still talk in the morning, but the rest of the day music can be found. B13 had mentioned the reversion a few days ago, but it wasn't until I was almost at work on Wednesday morning that I checked the station and found a Linkin Park song playing that I remembered. Things had come full circle, and my ride home was amazing. Cool breezes soared through my open window as the sun was setting, and my radio blared as I sang along to Mother, In Bloom, Creep, The Hand That Feeds and more. I actually detoured under the pretense of checking if a moving company had gotten their trucks off my dad's lot before he had them towed(long story), but really I just wanted more music time.

Life is full of bad ideas and mistakes. Many are irreversible, or people simply let a bad situation continue. A format change is a small thing, but I don't need much to be happy. Never assume you've seen the last of something good. The wheel in the sky keeps on turning...

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I spent two days last week ODing on RUSH---you just never know....

6/02/2007 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home