5.26.2007

For a Friend.

Many things can motivate us, can snap us into action or change our mindset. A catalyst can be anything from job loss to death to illness, but it usually takes us by surprise and we learn what instinct truly is.

On a typical Friday night, I sat in front of my computer watching a DVD, the original 1972 Solaris. It was a change of pace from a more action-packed film I'd seen earlier in the day with my friends, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. My dad was in the living room watching TV, whilst my mom potted plants out on the verandah. Other than the occasional cry of “watch the cat!” when she'd come back in the house for something, it was quiet. Then I heard:

“He got out!”

“What?! Go get him!”

There was no thinking involved. I was on my feet in a heartbeat, past my mom in the kitchen looking for food to lure our little friend back, past my dad watching television, looking over his shoulder at our screen door, and finally outside where I saw Chirp's little black tail disappear around a corner into the darkness of our yard.

Indoors, he loves attention. A snap of the fingers and he'll appear, throw himself at your feet or leap to the nearest table and roll around until you pet him. But when he gets a chance to explore, to run down to the basement or outside, he'll only return when he's ready.

Thankfully, he has some white fur, so I caught a glimpse of him before he headed up a trail into my mom's garden. I knew I'd never catch him if I followed, but I also knew where the trail came out, so I ran ahead, and up some makeshift steps made of rocks. “Where is he?” called my mom, shaking a container of cat food. I told her to head him off, but somehow in the dark she misunderstood. She passed the other entrance to the trail, giving him a clear path to run away from me. But, he was headed back to the house.

“DIDJAFINDIM??” cried my dad, loudly slamming open the screen door and spooking Chirp so he sprinted away from the house once more, across our front yard toward the street. Now my mom and I both followed, snapping fingers and shaking food. I ran out wide into our driveway, and curved back in, descending upon a small dark shape in front of our hedge, scooping up what I prayed was my cat and not a raccoon or a possum. He purred and curled against me, enjoying the game.

Inside, my conscious mind started working again. I hoped the neighbors hadn't looked out at any time, as I was only wearing shorts and no shirt. That must have been some show. But the real epiphany came with my bare feet, as I realized I'd run across wood chips and who knows what else out there. I was so focused on recovering my pal, I could have been running on hot coals. Each step hurt, and even brushing my ankles against something hurt. Were there splinters? I asked my mom what she had growing out there that might have thorns, and ultimately we realized I'd run through some cacti with fine needles. I've been over both of my feet with a pair of tweezers, and I still haven't found them all. Ouch.

The things I'll do for a friend...

6 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Word up!

That was inspiring -- and a bit scary! I thought it was going to have a really tragic ending.

(Sorry, I consider cat death more tragic than prickly feet)

You really put it on the line for Chirp!

Way to go!

5/26/2007 4:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

...and yet, you won't leave NYC to visit a friend in another state...

5/26/2007 9:56 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

None of my friends out of state have ever given me an invitation to visit. Well, except for Curt when he moved to Texas and wanted me to drive down with them then take a plane back, but I didn't want to risk missing too much work and putting my job at risk....O_o

Anyway, if people don't invite me to stuff it's my nature to assume they don't want to see me. I suppose if I ever had several days off from work for some reason and someone were to invite me out of state, I might consider it, unless a plane was involved.

5/26/2007 6:45 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

You went the whole day and never mentioned your feet.. you prick(ed)!

LOL anyway... do I sense a roadtrip to Rey's in the future? Crackerbarrel anyone?

Also... how about a Bronx Zoo Wednesday? I see a vacation day in the near future.

5/26/2007 9:57 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

You know, I've been to the Bronx Zoo two or three times in my life, and never with a camera? Ask me again around the end of August; I think there's a plan forming.

5/26/2007 10:25 PM  
Blogger Curt said...

Dude, you missed a once-in-a-lifetime road trip. And I guess if you're so opposed to planes, I'll never see you again unless I visit NY. That's a really long drive for just a few days.

I once got a foot full of cactus needles during a cow-pie-tossing contest. I think that could only happen in Texas.

5/27/2007 3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home