5.27.2007

Change, it has to come...

I had it all written out, in my mind. The language would be poetic; the word smithery at its finest. I was going to announce a Summer hiatus, in which I would cut down posting to three days a week, recurring features only, so I could focus on another facet of my life. I wouldn't say it was one I was solidly neglecting, but certain career-related items did need a bit of dusting off.

Then I read that B13 hit his 86th consecutive daily post. After nearly three years of daily posting myself, that number shouldn't have meant much, but it did raise my curiosity. And when I saw I was at 959 posts, I realized I couldn't stop now, not before I reach an even 1,000. Once there, I might reconsider, but it's more likely my borderline autistic personality will focus on higher round numbers with lots and lots of zeroes.

On the plus side, there isn't much on television right now. Sure, I have two more episodes each of both The Sopranos and the canceled Drive on the horizon, and the pilot for Traveler was watchable, but otherwise my evenings should be free, usual stream of DVDs notwithstanding. Maybe there will be an increase in memes, or a decrease in my usual 10,000 word minimum length rants. Or maybe nothing will change at all.

The problem is, I get comfortable very easily, and sometimes even a good thing can become boring and predictable. I went to my third air show this year, for example, and while I had a relaxing time on the beach, I was perfectly content to lie under an umbrella and didn't feel the need to take 200 pictures of the same planes I saw the last two times I went. It was an awesome day, but I felt at times that I'd been there and done that. The only major differences this year were an insane sized crowd, and a little girl dancing like she was alone in her room and not surrounded by tens of thousands of strangers. That might change when she gets made fun of in high school, or learns that B13 put her on the internet. I am so glad the Web wasn't around when I was younger.

So, if I seem to be slacking off with my posts, hopefully it means I'm devoting more time to becoming awesome in another area of my life. If I remain awesome as a blogger, it either means I've learned to juggle really well or I'm slacking off elsewhere. Sometimes change is forced on us, but it's always better when we take the reins and effect change on our own. I will reach 1,000 posts; I'm not going anywhere. As for the rest of my life, maybe it's not too late to start going places...

2 Comments:

Blogger Lyndon said...

I'm amazed by both of you. The most posts that I've done consecutively is 6 days.

5/27/2007 2:03 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

cut yourself some slack---quality (which you have) is not aced by quantity (which you have)---you win!

5/27/2007 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home