1.31.2006

Roth is the WORST.

Say what you will about David Lee Roth as a singer, but the man really shouldn't be a talk show DJ.

I try not to listen. The radio station that carries him is all but dead to me now that it's mostly talk. At least on weekends they still play music. Of the three or four occasions I've tried to listen to him in the last month, I've never lasted more than a minute before I had to change the dial to stay awake. As he added other people to talk to on the show instead of being alone and droning about nothing, my reason for tuning out changed. I've actually found myself YELLING at the radio, “what the hell are you talking about?!” at some of the sheer stupidity that comes out of his mouth. I'm not talking about things that offend me, or things I disagree with. There were times I disagreed with, or was offended by his predecessor. But that show was interesting and held some intelligence in between or behind the sophomoric antics. Roth is a pure moron.

On one of the early shows, he was yelling at some caller. I thought there might finally be something controversial, so I left it on. He was talking about how his father was a cop, and anyone who has to carry a weapon to protect himself should get paid more. The caller was a guard at a prison who wasn't allowed to carry weapons, and argued that it was more dangerous for him, that is, when he got a word in. Roth listened to the worst of AM radio and brought the technique of talking over someone loudly to the debate table. The thing is, the caller wasn't disagreeing with him that cops deserve high pay, but adding on by saying guards take risks and deserve a better salary too. In an attempt to stir up an argument and make his show interesting, he was yelling at the guy, even though his sister tried to get him to listen. People tell me his sister is a regular cast member now. The first time I tried to listen he was about to interview his uncle. He's filling out his program with his family. It's like a child in his basement with a ham radio.

Digressing for just a moment, the Oscars are coming up, and many people are talking about the best movies from last year. I looked at that list, and the only movie I saw from it was Crash. I think that was a 2004 movie, too, unless it was late enough that they count it for 2005? Does that mean Kong and Narnia might show up in the 2007 Oscars? Likely these are just oversights, demonstrating the difference between my opinion and those of people who matter. I'm not even questioning the absence of Batman Begins, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, or Serenity because while I loved all three, I know they cater to a specific niche audience. Those other two movies were epic, though. Did someone who makes these decisions get tired of Peter Jackson? If the Oscars deal with the (supposed) best, then the worst is dealt with by the Razzies. This brings us back to David Lee Roth.

This morning, the broadcast caught my interest because they were discussing the Razzies, and who they thought were the worst actors and movies. One girl called and cited Johnny Depp, which is arguable. Another went with the tried-and-true Keanu Reeves. Roth agreed with both callers, including the stance that Point Break was okay because “it had the Swayze-man.” I actually liked that movie and think Keanu has done worse. He stands out like a sore thumb in anything historical or set far in the past. Bram Stoker's Dracula is the perfect example. I swear he says “dude” at some point. Point Break took place on a beach. Dracula is set in Transylvania. What works in one setting does not in another.

The Reeves caller was followed by a guy defending Johnny Depp, but making the tragic mistake of backing his argument with, “He was good in dat Pirate movie, brah!” Roth jumped on this by pointing out that Depp claims to have based the character on a cross between Keith Richards and Pepe Le Pew. My problem lies with his choice of words. I'm paraphrasing here, but he said something along the lines of, “he's a cross between Keith Richards and that gay muskrat from those Disney cartoons.” How many things can you find wrong with the preceding statement?

It's only been a month, but I can't imagine this lasting much longer. Today I listened longer than I have before, letting the stupidity fill me with hatred. When someone suggested Will Ferrell as a bad actor, he defended him with The Legend of Ron Burgundy, which I will admit was a damn funny stupid movie. Then the caller cited Bewitched, and Roth enthusiastically agreed. Though he hadn't seen the movie, he went on a rant about how it probably sucked because they modernized it, that the old one was great because she ran around calling him “master”. At this point, someone on his staff started sputtering and tried to interrupt with, “I think you're thinking of--”, only to be cut off as the rant got louder. He chuckled at his own brilliance, at the humor of Bewitched the movie failing because she didn't call the guy “master” like she did in I Dream of Jeannie, the sitcom he thinks the movie is based on. Idiot.

I'm done listening, and done registering my disgust on the internet. Worst. DJ. Everrrrr.

4 Comments:

Blogger cube said...

Pepe was most decidedly not gay, not a muskrat, and not a Disney character...sheesh!

2/01/2006 12:32 PM  
Blogger SPM said...

I liked it when he interviewed K-Fed and started talking about how great a performer Justin Timberlake was at some rock and roll show.

I've been downloading the podcast.

2/01/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I think we've got to start an award that responds to the preferences of the common people. We could call it the Common People's Award.

2/01/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Anyone, anywhere who comes down on Ferrell is just crusin for a bruisin.:)

2/02/2006 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home