2.21.2006

Who is this Johari, anyway?

Well, it's been a week since I posted a link to my Johari Window. As of this writing, 17 people have responded, enough for me to share my thoughts on these results:

Arena(known to self and others):
clever
helpful
modest
religious
shy
trustworthy

Blind Spot(known to others, not to self):
accepting
caring
complex
dependable
extroverted
friendly
independent
ingenious
intelligent
introverted
kind
knowledgeable
logical
nervous
observant
quiet
reflective
responsive
searching
self-conscious
sensible
sentimental
silly
sympathetic
warm
witty

Facade(known to self, not to others):
There was nothing in this pane.

Unknown(not known to self or others):
able, adaptable, bold, brave, calm, cheerful, confident, dignified, energetic, giving, happy, idealistic, loving, mature, organized, patient, powerful, proud, relaxed, self-assertive, spontaneous, tense, wise


----------------------------------------------------


Dominant Traits

58% of people think that MCF is self-conscious


All Percentages

able (0%) accepting (5%) adaptable (0%) bold (0%) brave (0%) calm (0%) caring (11%) cheerful (0%) clever (35%) complex (17%) confident (0%) dependable (5%) dignified (0%) energetic (0%) extroverted (5%) friendly (23%) giving (0%) happy (0%) helpful (11%) idealistic (0%) independent (5%) ingenious (11%) intelligent (47%) introverted (41%) kind (17%) knowledgeable (23%) logical (11%) loving (0%) mature (0%) modest (29%) nervous (23%) observant (23%) organized (0%) patient (0%) powerful (0%) proud (0%) quiet (11%) reflective (23%) relaxed (0%) religious (5%) responsive (5%) searching (5%) self-assertive (0%) self-conscious (58%) sensible (5%) sentimental (5%) shy (47%) silly (11%) spontaneous (0%) sympathetic (11%) tense (0%) trustworthy (11%) warm (5%) wise (0%) witty (11%)


----------------------------------------------------


I can't say I was surprised that 10 out of 17 people found me to be self-conscious, even people I've never met. It confirms that my writing is, at times, brutally honest. The interesting thing is that while I KNOW this about myself, when it came time to choose the six traits I thought were the most dominant, I myself didn't choose it! Introverted was another trait I somehow missed, that 7 of my friends and readers caught. I think this supports the blind spot section in that, while I think I'm aware of these things, they weren't at the forefront of my mind when I was clicking.

Tests like these should be used as a rough gauge only. Some might argue that there are subtle differences between being shy, and being either of the traits I missed. I'm also surprised that only one person besides myself thought that I was religious. Maybe I don't write about my faith enough, or maybe it's not as strong as I think. Two readers who know me in real life surprised me by not including that characteristic in their assessment.

If I remember, this might be a good exercise to revisit in a year, to see if I've changed or grown in any way, and get fresh results. My thanks to everyone who participated so far in giving me a lot of good input! I'll close tonight with links to windows from my friends and neighbors:

Janet
J-No
Rey
Sarcasmo
Sean.
Wendy

3 Comments:

Blogger DeAnn said...

I have been reading about this Johari thing everywhere, but can't quite figure out how to work it. Every time I've tried, it's been too busy or something and I can't get the page to work!

2/22/2006 1:01 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Maybe Darrell was working your Johari too. I think the most interesting is the difference between known to self and known to others...was self-effacing a choice^

2/22/2006 6:23 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

This window system definitely has it's quirks.I was just trying to write up my analysis now and realize I can't even remember what I chose for myself and now I cant check it because nothing is left in the facade box.

Go figure:(

2/24/2006 10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home