2.13.2006

M.C.F.A.T. VII: Answer Time

Just sit right back friends and you'll hear a tale, a tale of the Mysterious Cloaked Figure's Astonishing Test! A five question test. A five question test. The test was answered on the blogs of...

*NAME HIDDEN*

Darrell

Kev Bayer

Lorna

Crazy Neighbor(who also took on a classic test.)

Neolithic

Sean

Wendy

....and finally, as we always do, ended up right back here. Enjoy my answers and tune in next week for another test.

1) On Friday, I wrote about The Physics of Superheroes, and cited the example of Schrödinger's cat. What do you think of that theoretical example? Does lack of an observer allow for the simultaneous existence of contrary realities? In other words, if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is there to hear it, does it both make a sound and not make a sound?
No. While it's impossible to know what happens without observing, if a tree falls the end result will be finding it lying on the ground. The same is true of the cat. Though it has an equal property of being alive or dead before you open the box, the fact is that it's already one or the other. But the cat is a hypothetical example of what happens on the subatomic level, where the act of observation alone changes what you observe. If all probabilities are true at that level, and our reality breaks down to that structure, one could argue the existence of parallel universes, and I think that's pretty cool.

2) What is your favorite color? Why?
Asked in elementary school, forced to pin it down to one, I chose red and stuck with it for many years. I still like red, but I definitely think black looks cool, particularly on clothing. Navy blue and teal are colors I'm partial to as well.

3) Choose an actor or actress whose work you enjoy. What is the first project you recall him or her starring in? Next, check IMDB. What was their first starring role, and have you seen it?
When I saw Kiefer Sutherland in Stand By Me, he was the stuff of nightmares. The mean older kid who picked on the younger ones. The bad kid who drank and knocked over mailboxes with a baseball bat. I never wanted to run in to him or anyone like him. I was afraid of him. Small wonder I watched little more than snippets of The Lost Boys on television, avoiding it in its entirety until fairly recently. post-24, I'm a solid fan. His first IMDB credit is Max Dugan Returns in 1983, which I've never seen. The earliest film I've seen him in is 1986's At Close Range, just last week. As Darrell observed, he does look ridiculously young. I can't see that kid scaring me, let alone terrorists. Though I asked for film credits, in my research I discovered he was in an episode of Amazing Stories which I totally remember! “The Mission” took place during WWII and featured a cartoonist whose drawings became reality. I might be my favorite episode of that series. Note the amazing cast of the episode as well.

4) Who is your favorite corporate mascot? Who is your least favorite?
The current Burger King really creeps me out. Of course, the greatest mascot of all time will always be Kool-Aid Man. OH YEAH!! Hat tip to Xtine for inspiring this question.

5) How would you deal with being a superhero? Would you maintain a secret identity, lying to even those closest to you to protect them, or would you operate publicly as a full-time hero?
I think because of my personality, I'd almost certainly shun the spotlight and go out of my way to do good deeds without getting credit. Ultimately, I'd have to share the secret with someone. I thought this one up after watching the second season of Lois & Clark which deals with this subject frequently. They finally start dating but, since he hasn't told her who he really is, it creates a lot of tension when he has to run off to save people, making up a really lame excuse every time. I could lie to the world, but I'd have to be honest with a girlfriend for the relationship to progress. Like Clark, my parents would probably know my secret too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Kiefer is a good choice. I don't even remember him being in Stand by Me, it's been that long since I've seen it. Got one of his movies coming from Netflix soon, Freeway. He looks super creepy.

Also, I love the Burger King. But am freaked out by the Kool-Aid Man. I don't like it when juice wears tights.

2/14/2006 4:55 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

I saw this on Lorna's blog and am pleased to see the origin.

2/14/2006 10:16 AM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

I worked on a "24" once, and Kiefer laughed at a joke I made- so he's okay in my book.

2/14/2006 3:17 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Well, red works great for Valentine's Day!
Purple is my favorite color.

The Arby's mitt is the worst! I can't believe someone was paid for that idea.

Happy Valentine's Day!
I hope yours is filled with love.

2/14/2006 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home