2.12.2006

Phantasmic Links 2.12.06

Readers here only for this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS can skip the rant that follows and jump to the section in the usual P-link color. Brave souls with older parents who might offer advice or empathy are encouraged to read on.

Old man winter made up for lost time, and later in the week I'll have the pictures to prove it. Flurries started around five o'clock yesterday and ended about the same time today, but in between we were hit with nearly two feet of snow, at least in my area. I'm beginning to feel very frustrated and helpless when it comes to my dad and snow. Around noon I heard my mom yelling at him, so I went out to see him putting on boots and an extra pair of pants, denying that he had plans to go outside. I chimed in that I'd checked the weather online and there was no point going out for a few hours, until it stopped. The discussion elevated to a shouting match, and at one point he snapped at my mom, “he's in worse shape than I am!!”

I know I'm out-of-shape, but as I mentioned yesterday, I've been working very hard to improve. Even though I knew his words were hurled in defensive misdirection, that he didn't actually believe a 31-year-old who visits the gym regularly was worse off than a 75-year-old man with a heart condition, they still stung. I suddenly felt a strong urge to prove myself, show that I wasn't a kid. He admitted that he wasn't planning to shovel for another hour, but was getting dressed to look for the newspaper. I told him I'd get it, hoping that the Jumble might buy me some time, since boredom was as much a motivation as pride in his desire to go outside. Even though it was still snowing pretty heavy, once I found the paper and brought it in, I remained out there working as quickly as I could. Maybe someday I'll be fast enough, but it wasn't today. Sure enough, he soon joined me, and I'd only done the front sidewalk and a portion of the driveway. It was the same “if you can't beat him, join him” situation that I find myself in every year. Telling him to go inside only makes him raise his voice and say that the neighbors are laughing at me for arguing with him. More misdirection, but he knows the right buttons to push.

And so we worked together, my mom looking disapprovingly from the house as I shrugged. He looked pale even though he was pacing himself, but upsetting him by arguing would only make his blood pressure go up. Earlier in the day one of his sisters had called and given my mom permission to “hit him over the head with a shovel” if he was stubborn and tried to go outside. I wasn't about to try that. After cleaning two of the cars and half of the driveway, he finally went in, and I stayed out for another hour or so to finish up. I don't know if I should take it as a good sign, that he's finally starting to trust me to be a man and handle an adult's task, or a bad one that he hit his own limit and had to stop. Normally, nothing stops my dad, a trait I wish I possessed, so I'm thinking it was the latter. Ironically, as I finished our driveway the 10-year-old boy across the street came outside, climbed on to a small ride-on mower that his father had hooked a plow up to, and proceed to clean his parent's driveway in half the time.

Does anyone have any advice? We borrowed a snowblower once to try it out, and it kept jamming. My dad also didn't like the lack of control. With a shovel, you can deposit snow anywhere but a blower limits you, and you have to be careful to face away from the neighbors. There's a family friend who sometimes plows the driveway for us and he actually did so earlier today, but with the snowfall it filled in again and his tires packed the snow down in some places, making it impossible to separate from the pavement. I work as fast as I can and normally I would have gone out at night while my father slept, but the bulk of this storm was overnight so I didn't bother this time. I'm only human and, heart condition aside, there actually is some truth to my dad's words about me being in worse shape. Years as an automobile mechanic have left him remarkable strong while I still have my limitations. Insisting he stay inside has the opposite effect, makes him go out there to prove he can do it. I'm not sure if reverse psychology would work either. I think he's going out there no matter what, and I just have to accept it and do the best I can to minimize his exertions. I am starting to feel really guilty about entertaining the notion of buying my uncle's house when he moves into a senior apartment. Realistically, unless my mom turns my bedroom into a sewing room, I suppose I could always stay over when there's going to be a storm, so I shouldn't let this deter any plans should I pursue leaving.

If you read this whole rant I thank you, and I now present what you really came for, this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

I haven't been able to stop watching Doctor Tran ever since I saw it over at Darrell's. This link comes with a strong language warning and near-lethal doses of hilarity.

Speaking of strong language, you've never heard Barney like this. Skip if gangsta rap offends you, but this certainly paints the purple dinosaur in a new light.

Speaking of offensive, I watched this news item with mixed feelings. The teacher's defense is valid insofar as there is a difference between the two words he cites. Did he actually use the non-offensive version? I'm not sure. Even if he did, there's an unwritten rule that someone like him can't get away with it. There's also the matter of context. I think he deserved the penalty. I'm not sure if it's a fireable offense, though. What do you think?

Finally, the question of what would happen to MCF if he were locked in the trunk of a moving car is answered.

Sometimes turning back the clock explains everything.

This is only a scale model, but I'm excited to think that every day we're getting closer to the real thing. Hat tip to Rey.

Sketch Swap entertained me for quite some time this afternoon. Draw something and get one in return instantly.

Here's another one of those games in which you must click things in the right order, courtesy of Dosetaker.

Can you navigate a maze armed only with bombs and escape in Trapped 5? It took me about a half hour last night, at which point I learned that I'd missed a secret room. What are the odds?

Here's an interesting analysis of the names of the characters on Lost. In case anyone is wondering what I'm doing on a baby names site, I've been using such sites to research names for my writing class stories. It's handy to find out what names mean or look for names with specific meanings that tie in to what I'm writing about.

You might as well face it; you're addicted to Lost.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger DeAnn said...

Love the links! I definitely will be back. Thanks!

2/13/2006 12:20 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Tough situation with your dad there, MCF. I doubt that he still sees you as a child, it sounds more to me that he's having a hard time getting older and having limitations on himself and he's just lashing out. Kind of an immaturity on his part. I'm sure it's very tough for him. Have you tried sitting down with him and talking it out? Like, dad, these are my concerns, and I understand stand you're feeling another way. What can we do to work it out?

Dad situations are tough. I still get into arguments with my dad, probably because we're both so stubborn. It gets resolved when we treat each other like adults.

I'm pretty sad to hear that this may affect your moving out.

Anyway, I think that teacher who said the racial slur should be fired. I'm usually not for politically correct speech, but feel there are a few words which a person in authority should never say. I don't care if the kid said it or not or if it was the "slang" version. Plus, he was a total idiot in the interview. "I don't understand". Give me a break.

2/13/2006 4:54 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

And may I add ... two feet of snow??! I'm envious.

2/13/2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I like how you said old man winter made up for lost time. He did here, too. In fact, I'm home today because of it.

As for the snowblower, I wish I had sage words of advice to offer. My dad bought one and at first it looked like it wasn't going to work but it finally did. I worry about him shoveling too, he's 64 with a bad back, but I'm not much help. He's also old school and doesn't even want to think about me helping him.

2/13/2006 8:30 AM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

I'm not qualified to comment on either your Dad or the snow.. I lost my Dad at 16 (I was 16, he was 63) and I saw snow once, in a movie..

If it makes you feel any better, an unmarried friend in his 40's was recently complaining that HIS elderly father is a real jerk. He said that he was recently at a family get-together and his Dad said to him (in front of other family members), "why do you even HAVE a penis? You certainly don't use it!"

2/13/2006 10:26 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I have no advice to offer on the snow situation. Actually, I do have advice to offer: that advice is, never pay any attention to my advice.

Advice like that could end up altering the space-time continuum.

I thought the news story about the teacher and the n-word was very interesting. I think I may have found a more-recent update on the case.

2/13/2006 5:14 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Sorry to hear about your dad Rhodester, but the latter part of your comment totally made me feel better. My parents would never be that jerky or crude. I have friends who might say something similar to me(and have, sadly) but not my folks.

As an addendum to the snow story, my dad went out today anyway because a plow came by again and filled us in, though you'd never know it. There's still 3 or 4 inches on our street. The main road was fine tonight but once I turned down our block it was freaking Narnia. According to my mom, my dad shoveled, then came in the house, then the plow came by AGAIN, then apparently my dad CHASED the truck up the block and let the guy know, "Look, you blocked me in! Our neighbors left their cars in the street so you couldn't plow, so you pushed all their snow into our driveway! By some miracle the driver was super polite and apologetic, perhaps sympathetic to a little old Italian man yelling at him, so he came back and opened the driveway up in one swipe which I thought was really nice.

I guess I really can't use my dad as an excuse not to move when the time comes. I can't watch him 24/7 and when I go to work he's going to get into mischief anyway. I finally saw a Hard Day's Night this weekend and if the lads couldn't stop the antics of McCartney's grandfather, neither can I police my dad. One good suggestion someone gave me was to pay one of the neighborhood kids a few bucks to do it. The kid with the little tractor is still a little young, but definitely when I move out if I can't be here when it snows I can hire kids, or my folks can. When I was a kid this older lady up the block used to hire me to do yardwork after her son grew up, got married and moved out. Every Sunday I'd spend about three hours pulling weeds and mowing the lawn and raking leaves etc.It was good exercise, I made a few bucks, and felt good helping her out. I'm sure her son didn't feel guilty that I was doing it or even gave it a second thought.

Kelly, you must not drive. That's the only reason to envy two feet of snow. :)

2/13/2006 10:24 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

D'oh, pay a kid to do it! That's a great idea and I was so trying to come up with a great idea for you but couldn't think of one. So glad someone else suggested it.

BTW, the mental picture of a little old Italian man yelling at a guy driving a big ol' plow is very amusing. :-)

2/14/2006 4:53 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I'm coming at this late, but with authority. One of the things I learned early on is that you can't make people do things, but you can influence them, and it can be hard. However, the hardest part is giving people the gift of your best advice, then letting them take it or not. I know this is broader advice than you asked for, but it's my best advice.

And I too am addicted to Lost. And amazed by Keifer Sutherland, that scary guy.

I didn't, for many reasons, buy a house until I was 50. For most of those many reasons, I regret waiting so long. Owning a house is very satisfying. So why did I sell mine and agree to move into a rental for 2 years? Aaaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!

2/14/2006 7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home