2.22.2006

PBW: To Tobay

The weather has definitely been crazy. While last week I had the aftermath of a snowstorm to share, tonight's Photo Blog Wednesday will take us back to the beach. My office allows for 20 vacation days and 2 personal days a year. We can bank 10 to use the following year, but the bank fills up. Since I have 10 in there already, I had to use or lose 22 days last year. I lost 3, possibly 4, because I ran out of time. This year I've only taken 2 days, both in February, and I intend to take 2 a month for the rest of the year and use them all. And so I found myself home last Friday, looking out at the rain. What was I going to do on my day home? Was I going to write another post in which the first letter of each paragraph spelled out a hidden message? I didn't think cleverness would provide much entertainment value. Fortunately, not only did the sun come out, but the temperature rose. Soon I was at Jones Beach again, and I proceeded to walk East with heavy winds at my back, observing tide pools and seagulls. Three miles and a little over an hour later, I found myself at Tobay Beach. All in all, it was a good use of a day off and an improvement over sitting in a gray cubicle staring at a monitor.





Walking through a sandstorm was very cool and created some great optical illusions. Some times it seemed like I was standing still, while at other times it was like floating on land.










The end of this foot tunnel or drain that ran under the highway was flooded, but I could still venture in part of the way to get some cool pictures. The above view looking out from the “cave” is possibly my favorite this week.










This sign made me feel very safe.



Not all the snow had melted.



Picnic grounds outside the concert theater were empty, and in a few months the above area will be very different. I hope you enjoyed this week's photos. Tune in tomorrow for a very special post, the second half of an interview I was granted with a “minor” celebrity. Please check out the first part at The Happy Husband, then come back here tomorrow night for the conclusion.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

That tunnels post had a secret message. Heh, who knew? Oh yea, I see it now.

Leads me to wonder, do you look for hidden messages in everyone else's posts?

Great pictures, especially of the sandstorm.

2/23/2006 6:19 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I'm amazed that the word "beach" comes to anyone's mind in February.

2/23/2006 6:57 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

I love the picture from inside the "cave". I noticed you left some more photographic evidence of your existence there. In the sand.

2/24/2006 9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home