4.16.2009

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XXV

You know what I've learned? I've learned a lot of valuable, important lessons in my life, most of which I've forgotten. And then there are the Things I've Learned Thursday:

* I am not a garbage disposal for junk food. The older I get, even with regular exercise, my tolerance levels still decrease.

* If at first you don't succeed, move on. This will free up an amazing amount of time.

* I was super-excited when my accountant reminded me that I bought a car last year and could deduct the sales tax. I thought for the first time in years I might actually be getting money back. Despite my large purchase, as well as putting an additional $5K into an IRA for 2008, I owed even more money this year. I'm starting to believe in “change”...

* Speaking of my car, those things have to be inspected once a year which, having a mechanic for a father, I never remember on my own. Since his shoulder infection and the discovery that his left rotator cuff is gone, I've been handling the maintenance on my car, and did the last two oil changes, with him directing. Had he not asked me whether we'd inspected the car yet during a commercial break while watching television on Wednesday night, I might not have gone outside to check the sticker and discover that it's due for inspection before the end of this month. It should have clicked when my accountant reminded me about the car that it's been a year now. I need to start remembering important things like that without someone else reminding me.

* Like van Gogh, I probably won't be appreciated within my lifetime, but subsequent generations might stumble upon my likeness and/or words and get me. Unlike van Gogh, I plan to keep both ears.

* When dealing with business e-mails, never respond in anger and, if you feel the tone of an e-mail you received seems antagonistic, it might be a good idea to pick up the phone and speak to the person directly. Professionals don't pepper e-mails with emoticons, and we might sometimes take the written word the wrong way. A co-worker recently shared an experience in which she felt like an e-mail was directed at her in a scolding tone, and she immediately replied to everyone on the thread with a sarcastic remark and defensive attitude. “I had to write back and cc everyone to defend myself!” she insisted while I thought, “Are you 12?”. Rather than say that, I translated my thoughts into more diplomatic and hopefully helpful advice. If anything, e-mail correspondence should allow for more time for someone to “count to 10” and think of the best response.

* Geese are surprisingly casual about speeding cars, while drivers are often too confident that the creatures will move out of the way, or simply don't care if they hit them. As I rounded a bend on my morning commute one day this week, a goose stepped off the curb near a pond and began waddling out into the road. I slowed down and veered around him, noting the car in my review mirror continue at the same speed and same course, nearly hitting the thing. The goose stumbled back on one foot an inch from the car's right front wheel, flailing both wings out to their full expanse to balance itself, which would have been a lot less comedic if I saw the bird get crushed. What's wrong with geese? What's wrong with people? Can't we all just get along?

* We all can't get along.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home