9.13.2007

Out of Shape

One of the down sides to my new job is the lack of a company gym. I’ve never been the most physically fit person, largely because even during those times I was physically active, I wasn’t eating right. Not only was a company gym affordable; it was convenient. Every day at the bottom of the stairs, a decision was made. I could go left, out to the parking lot, and drive home to watch television and eat snacks. Or, I could go right, change my clothes, and start walking on a treadmill. Perhaps shaken from getting my first and only speeding ticket before work one morning, I made a pact with two of my friends that we’d all join together. Three or four years later, for various reasons, I was one of the only people in the company still down there every night.

I started out slow, walking 3 to 4 miles an hour each day. I gradually kicked it up each day, approaching exercise like a video game and trying to beat my score. My competitive nature, normally a weakness, was a rare asset. I would beat yesterday’s MCF consistently. When there was a Summer competition, I obsessed in trying to win. I would finally be a jock. Chicks dig jocks. I didn’t get any chicks when I won, but I did get three months of free membership, and possibly a thermos or a ball; I forget now what the physical prize was. I do know that near the end, I was waking up at 5:30 every morning and working out from 6 to 9, working a full day, then getting in another three hours from 5 to 8. I know; I don’t know who that guy was either.

As the years went on, I continued running every day, averaging 6 to 8 miles an hour, which is a bit faster than it sounds. I’d run about three miles a day on the treadmill, and try to get some time on the other cardio machines as well as the weights. Again, my diet isn’t great, so my appearance didn’t reflect that of a guy running at least three miles every day. But I felt great, had more energy, and could cope with whatever stress I faced during the day by running at full speed.

I enjoyed leaving work at 5 PM during my first week at the new job. It was a strange feeling, driving with the sun still shining, and stranger to watch a movie and have time for a second movie, a video game, or even chat with old friends. After a week, I realized I needed to get some physical activity in besides walking down the hall for a cup of tea. I decided to slowly get back into a new routine, and run for 15 minutes each day. I set the timer on my stove, and ran from one end of the house to the other, back and forth, until the timer buzzed. I can’t jog outside because I’m self-conscious, and more than a little afraid of being chased by dogs. I can’t jog up at the high school track because I’m self-conscious, afraid of being chased by dogs, afraid of being beat up by high school boys and laughed at by high school girls, and concerned someone might think I’m a creepy old guy fishing for jailbait. I can’t jog at my old gym because I don’t work for that company anymore. Have you met me? I have issues.

By the third week, I started getting a little busier at work. It wasn’t overwhelming, but by the time I drove home I didn’t have the energy to run. It was so nice when I could work out before sitting in a small, hot car for a half hour. Needless to say, there was no jogging of any kind. By the fourth week, which I’m in now, I got even busier and worked a little late. I need to establish a new routine, because I’m feeling logy at night. I’d always feel that way in the morning, and for some reason it has always been more appealing to go back to sleep in the morning than go to bed at night in the first place.

It’s tough to lose a good routine, to get out of shape. I hate losing something I was once good at. I feel the same way about drawing. Every time I pick up a pencil and feel motivated, I’m disheartened by the result and give up. Someone described a humorous character to me on Wednesday that I had to draw, but I definitely couldn’t reproduce the image in my mind that made me chuckle.

Practice and repetition lead to proficiency. Use it or lose it. I know some of the things that take me a little longer at work right now are things I’ll soon execute without thought or hesitation. I just need to do them a few times before I gain the time lost in thinking about what has to be done. I haven’t gained a lot of weight(yet), but the lack of energy is both worrying and familiar. I’ve felt like this before.

Maybe I should forget all the stupid insecurities and start running. Maybe I need to get a new bike, fix one of my old ones, or repair the stationary one hidden somewhere in my basement amid all the furniture and other junk my mom “rescued” from my uncle’s house when he moved. A treadmill would be a wise investment, but we definitely have no room for something like that right now, unless I could find a compact model. Some research may be in order. I am considering an approach I used back in college, a gradual advancement similar to what I did with the speed settings on the treadmill. With the treadmill, I set it higher each day. In college, one day I did one pushup. The next day I did two. Then three. I kept track in a small calendar, increasing the number by one each day, and I think the concept was sound even if I slacked off and then quit completely after a month or so. So at night when I watch television, I think it will be simple to do a pushup and a stomach crunch, leg lift, or other abdominal exercise. If I increase the amount each day, I should be able to work my way up to a decent amount. I still need to run or bike or do some kind of cardio exercise, keep my blood pumping so I don’t feel weighted down and don’t need to yawn constantly to hear better because my ears feel clogged.

How does everyone else out there stay in shape? Joining a real gym, though a lot more expensive than what I had, might be the only way to restore structure to my routine. But I like the free time I’ve regained, so if there’s a way to get home at a decent hour and still exercise, I’d love to hear it.

1 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

1. You get paid well.
2. You live at home.
3. You don't need a three!

Splurge on yourself and go buy yourself a new bike. It will make you happy. You will ride to nice locals to take pictures. You'll get me off MY fat ass because I will be jealous and will want to ride too.

9/13/2007 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home