9.05.2007

PBW: The Caumsett Hike

By now, many of you will be familiar with Caumsett State Park from my excursions in March earlier this year, and my initial Photo Blog Wednesday visit back in 2005. I didn't have much to do on Labor Day, nor did a few of my friends, so we ended our Summer together with a group hike. The first three miles to the beach weren't bad. Along the subsequent two or three miles along the shoreline, we all started to feel a little tired. Walking on sand can be a challenge after a while. B13's wife was relying on a walking stick after a misstep in a ditch early in the journey, and he boasted “When ya go hikin' with me and [MCF] ya gotta be ready to go the distance!” By the time we found the staircase at the other end of the beach leading to another three mile trail back to the parking lot, none of us were boasting. After 8 or 9 miles, the Mike's Hard Lemonade waiting in a cooler back at the '13's truck was a welcome reward.









With a little imagination, I pictured the preceding tree as a giant Mysterious Cloaked Figure. Some people see bunnies in clouds; I see my alter ego in trees.















It was heartbreaking to see this noble gull with a broken wing.





Signage is always B13's greatest ally, in the woods or in civilization.



Danny Elfman's theme from The Flash seemed to fit best the footage I got leaning out the window on the road back to the mainland of Long Island:

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely saw the MCF figure in the tree. I thought it WAS you, until I read the description.

9/05/2007 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted the above comment.. it's a little more difficult now that I've moved from it and a lot of my old pals still use it. I got as far as the "r" in rhodester, and away it went.

9/05/2007 6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mean, moved from BLOGGER.. sheesh.. sorry.. having a very bad commenting day.

9/05/2007 6:59 PM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

That pic of the WWII fighter is sweet!

9/06/2007 2:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home