4.12.2007

Best TV Themes

I always thought it would be so cool to have my own theme music. Every action would be underscored and enhanced, and something as simple as lifting a toothbrush could take on legendary dramatic significance. Years ago, approaching the elevator at my office, Rey or more likely TheGreek began humming a more cartoony, jaunty tune in keeping with my Hobbit-like gait. Music is so important in setting the tone of a scene, and sometimes a scene can inspire very specific music.

As one of the world's most notorious couch potatoes, I have a fondness for television theme songs. I like the old classic jingles written specifically for a show, with lyrics that tell you who these people are and what their comedic situation will be. Those are rare these days, and now we either get an original instrumental score, or the rights to some popular song are acquired. Janet asks this week ”What are some of your favorite tv theme songs of all time?”, and as I answer this question, I wonder if I'll unveil my dream life soundtrack in the process.


The opening theme to Angel is a nice blend of classical and rock, with somber violins succumbing to drums and harsher strings, capturing both the soul and the action of the series. The turning point of the theme's tone was always paired with a shot of the heroic vampire kicking in a door, except for the last season where it punctuated him closing a book. I always liked the original shot because, intentional or not, it struck me as homage to another favorite:


The A-Team is one of the two most influential dramatic series from my childhood(we'll get to the other one next). A voiceover explains the premise of the series over the sound of drums and helicopter blades. Suddenly, the roar of machine guns heralds a patriotic and unforgettable fanfare, with a mandatory ‘80s guitar solo in the middle. Watch for the shot of Mr. T kicking down a door, later mirrored in Angel, as well as Dirk Benedict running into an old co-star...


And of course, the other, stronger dramatic influence on my childhood was Knight Rider. Just listen to that dated yet timeless electronic theme, decades later put to good use once more by Busta Rhymes.


I'm sure I'll get to a theme song with lyrics at some point, but here's another memorable instrumental, the incomparable jazz of Night Court. I actually knew the song years before I saw the show, because it was on past my bedtime but as I fell asleep I'd hear it in the living room where my parents were watching it. I miss those saxophones.


I knew I'd post one with lyrics eventually. Cheers has to have the most positive and uplifting theme song in sitcom history. Who wouldn't want to go to a place where everybody knows your name, or where your troubles are all the same? It's why I go to work every morning. It wasn't until a montage aired on the night of the show's historic last episode that I learned of the other verses to the theme. And years ago when my girlfriend moved to Boston, we actually drove by the real bar but were unable to find parking. Maybe someday I'll check the place out.


What kind of Italian would I be if I didn't include The Sopranos? I probably shouldn't mention that I'm the kind who saw this credit sequence spoofed on The Simpsons before I got into the real thing. I think I have an idea or two about my next driving video though. If and only if you've seen every episode of the show up to the new season, check out this spoiler-laden and hilarious summary.


Since I just mentioned it, I should of course include The Simpsons, given the now epic longevity of the show. Also, Danny Elfman is one of the most versatile and recognizable composers in film and television.


Since Danny Elfman rocks, while I'm on an animated tangent I'll include his work from Batman: The Animated Series. I love how he created something new with hints of what he did for the live action films, and how well it worked with the retro animation.


Here's one more from Elfman, a zippy heroic fanfare that I sometimes play in my brain while on a treadmill: The Flash.




Because I don't have enough sitcom guilty pleasures on here, I submit Charles in Charge, Gimme a Break, and Mr. Belvedere. Try getting these out of your brain. Also, who else misses the golden age of sitcoms about a housekeeper, butler, babysitter, or other stranger who moves in with a family, changes their lives, and ultimately becomes one of them? I think Who's the Boss? may have been the last of that breed.


Believe it or not, I didn't forget to include The Greatest American Hero. I'm walking on air; I never thought I could feel so free...


The other day, a coworker's cell phone went off and his ringtone was the ridiculously awesome theme to CHiPs. I'm glad I was reminded of this funky electronic classic.

Finally, I'll wrap things up with some of my favorite unforgettable cartoon themes, from Thundercats, Duck Tales, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, G.I. Joe, and of course Transformers:








Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Lyndon said...

Great picks, definitely worthy of any list. I'm beginning to think that "The Greatest American Hero" is the sleeper pick for a lot of people. Because I keep seeing it, pop on lists everywhere.

4/12/2007 6:40 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

I can see your list, but I can't see the You Tube clips. I don't know why. I am so with you on the Greatest American Hero. Not only is it one of my favorite themes, it's one of my favorite songs, period. So there.:)

4/12/2007 11:39 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

What about Gargoyles?
Or Justice League?
Or the Muppets and Fraggle Rock?

Angle has a great theme - Catharsis of Sufferance by Darlign Violetta. The original extended version is great (I like to find different mixes and versions of songs).

Buffy had a really good theme. Firefly had a good theme too, but it took me a bit to get used to it.

The original BSG had a good theme too.

A-team and night rider were good too.

Remember Street Hawk? That had an okay theme too.

Cheers is a classic.

Great post!

4/12/2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Gargoyles...epic, can't believe I had Duck Tales but not that Disney Afternoon gem. Justice League Unlimited, totally, and Batman Beyond too...and how am I going to have Angel but not Buffy or Firefly?

Of course I remember Street Hawk. :) If I had Knight Rider and CHiPs, that should have been there too.

Another sitcom that popped into my brain after I posted was What's Happening. I loved the basketball lead-in.

Keep your suggestions rolling in; Here are a few links to my oversights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpj6ihSwPXw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSsW9SoUy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdTbiLku48

4/12/2007 11:25 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

ou missed Darkwing

4/12/2007 11:51 PM  
Blogger Natsthename said...

You will be disappointed by the Cheers bar, since now it really is called Cheers and it's sooooo lame! (you know, with sandwiches and drinks named after the characters, etc.) All of the charm is GONE! (I live near Boston, and relatives always want to go there, so I smile and go along with it.)

But I love your list!

4/16/2007 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home