1.25.2006

PBW: Great Neck of the Woods

East. For some reason, whenever I set out on a Photo Blog Wednesday expedition with no particular destination in mind, I always head East. This past Saturday I decided to drive West, instead, just to switch things up. I'm crazy uninhibited like that. My trek took me into Great Neck, and when I saw signs to the landmark Grist Mill, I remembered visiting the place with my parents as a young boy. I decided to follow these signs, which were at times a mile apart and took me through some very nice isolated communities. Every time I thought I was lost I'd see another sign and another arrow. Eventually, after driving over a small bridge and passing a library, I made a right turn on to a side street that ended at my destination. It was there that I saw this:



What are the odds?! Still, I'd traveled a long way, and a fence is an adversary I rarely let stop me. Barbed wire is a different story, but that didn't mean I couldn't get some shots through the fence:






And so, after less than five minutes on the wrong side of a fence, it was time for me to go home, which was incredibly depressing. However, when I got to the end of the road I found myself facing that aforementioned library. I noticed a pond behind it. I noticed sculptures on the grounds. I noticed the view from the nearby bridge. I drove across the street, parked my car, and set about catching it all on film.









I found the above imagery sad and ironic. In front of a tree stump, a plaque reads: “Planted in Memory of Emily Howard 1946-1968 By Her Loving Family.” The plaque faces the lake, so perhaps the landscaper, working from the parking lot side, didn't notice it as he cut down the tree.





The whole place had a very ‘60s feel to it, from the funky overlapping steps and bubble lights....




...to the funky signage for the arts center below the library.




Making my way around the library back to the road, I found myself on the bridge.





With one more sculpture to photograph, my surprise excursion was finally at an end. Where will my car take me next time? Stay tuned...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger avRAGEjoe said...

That sign says "no parking on bridge"...I hope you were on foot when you took it!

Great photos!

1/26/2006 8:33 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

With the no parking on bridge sign, I think he got off on a technicality.:)

1/26/2006 6:02 PM  
Blogger Xtine said...

I live so close to great neck but never went to the grist mill. thanks for sharing!

1/26/2006 8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home