1.30.2006

M.C.F.A.D. I: Draw Wolverine

Just when you think you've gotten the hang of Mondays at the Nexus, I throw you a curve ball. Today I won't be asking you to answer questions. For the first time in three months there will be no M.C.F.A.T. Tired of the rigors of academia? Stumped by questions that would challenge a third grader? Looking to work a different area of your brain? Perhaps what you need to do is earn a Mysterious Cloaked Figure Art Degree.

Now, I can't make any promises. An M.C.F.A.D. might not earn you a cushy job in the field of animation, comic books, or my own exciting field of direct mail. What it will earn you is FUN. Take the Batgirl Meme, for example. What started as a few sketches and drawings grew to include thousands of renditions of the character, a veritable comic renaissance. There was an impressive range of styles, from blends of fashion and animation to cute and cartoony to ”I can't draw so I'm going to paint over Laura Prepon.” Even a published professional like Mike Wieringo added his contribution.

A few weeks ago I asked for suggestions. After careful consideration of all the great possibilities, I decided to use Wendy's suggestion of Wolverine. Over the years, Marvel's most popular mutant has had many looks. Here's your opportunity as a fan to try your interpretation. Will you draw something realistic or cartoony? A simple stick figure? A photo manipulation? Will you resort to Hero Machine? Anything goes.

Below you will find my own contribution to the meme. As you add links to drawings on your own sites I'll edit this post. Will this be the next great art meme? Will there be more? Only you can answer that.


Wolverine and the distinctive likeness(es) thereof Copyright © Marvel Characters, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

PARTICIPANTS:
Rey

Kev Bayer

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

I'm way, way too competitive to take part in this. Not to mention that my Photoshop software is dusty.

1/30/2006 11:29 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Can I be the first to say "groan" to Davis Rose's comment. (OK, I chuckled a bit ... )

Anyway, I'm a horrible artist so I probably won't be participating either. Especially after seeing how good yours and Rey's are (which, LOL to Rey's).

1/31/2006 5:13 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

No deadline really. As long as people are willing to participate, I'll add links whenever they come in. I'm not expecting this to get into the thousands like the Batgirl thing, but who knows. If a decent amount of people play along, I'll add a permanent link to the post in my sidebar.

I can't believe the nonartists wouldn't even do something with a generator like Heromachine, though. You people are no fun. :)

1/31/2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Questions that would stump a third grader, nice.

Speaking of, aren't you 30 now? I ask bc your "I was in middle school" comment confused me.

1/31/2006 7:11 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

P.S.- This is one area where I KNOW I can't contribute so I won't even bother to make empty promises.:(

1/31/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I turned 31 in November. So in Jan 1986 I would have been 11 and in the middle of the sixth grade. My Middle School was grades 6-8.

You made me nervous for a minute...for a second I had to double check we were talking about the same shuttle disaster. :\

1/31/2006 8:14 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Had to participate, even though I'm no artist. I make cute kids, not good drawings :-)

1/31/2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Not that I'm into fact checking or anything, I just remembered us being ABOUT the same age. But I guess you graduated 3 years before me in school.

2/02/2006 5:38 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I graduated HS in '92 and college in '96. Since my birthday is in November, I was younger than most of my classmates. Are you trying to say I'm OLD? :)

That's not depressing...thanks...

2/02/2006 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um....

I would like to, but I don't want to use Hero Machine, and I *gasp* DON'T have Photoshop. I might try one in mspaint, but who knows :)

2/09/2006 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home