2.19.2009

My Metallica Five

The latest batch of my fives are my five favorite Metallica songs. This is no easy task, narrowing down a body of work that dates back to 1981. While I remember my friend's older brother having a huge poster of the Master of Puppets album in their basement and thinking it looked cool, it was still a few years before I would discover the music, when a high school friend made me a copy of 1990's self-titled Metallica, better known as “The Black Album”. I loved every track, and went back and picked up their first four albums, finding more to love especially on album #3 Master of Puppets and album #4 ...And Justice For All. But it was the fifth album I listened to the most, wearing out that first cassette in my car driving back and forth to college. Subsequent albums paled in comparison to those first five, becoming more and more commercial and watered down. It wasn't until their 9th and most recent studio album, Death Magnetic, that I got excited about them again, and many of the tracks recaptured the style that first grabbed me on the Black Album.

Tastes are fluid with mood, and all I can say is that these are my five favorite Metallica songs right now, subject to change seconds within posting no doubt:

1) Welcome Home(Sanitarium):
VIDEO LINK

2) Wherever I May Roam:
VIDEO LINK

3) One:
VIDEO LINK

4) Nothing Else Matters:
VIDEO LINK

5) Cyanide:
VIDEO LINK

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Whiplash
Orion
Damage Inc.
Fade to Black
Leper Messiah

2/19/2009 12:29 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

It would be very hard for me to make a list of five Metallica tracks. I could do it with the albums, but it would be nearly impossible to do it track by track. I'm sure, though, that all five of my tracks would probably be on Master of Puppets. "Disposable" and "Leper" both come to mind immediately as favorites. The hard part would be figuring out which three of that albums eight tracks to omit. I'd probably do three ties for first, second and third place so I could get them all in there.

2/19/2009 6:32 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

This got me to burn a 2 disc mp3 compilation of everything from Kill 'em All to St. Anger.

Headbangin' car ride, here I come.

2/19/2009 1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home