2.11.2009

PBW: NYComicCon 2K9

This NY Comic Con thing is becoming an annual event with me, so much so that I finally created a NY Comic Con tag to keep such posts in one convenient location. This may weigh in as my LARGEST Photo Blog Wednesday ever, with over 100 photos. Get that scroll button ready and get ready for a colorful ride!


I love seeing comic book related stuff on the streets of Manhattan before I even reach the convention. This year's big promotion is Watchmen, and everything I've seen so far looks awesome.

I can't tell you how many idiots tried to duck under the metal dividers to cut the line, knocking it over with a LOUD clatter, but I can tell you that everyone applauded EVERY time.

Snake-Eyes! The first of many, but the best we saw.

Hank Pym and the Wasp, costumes to astonish.




It's a giant Faker!


Me and that blasted Spider-Man.



At least one Bazooka suffered the same eventual fate of all G.I. Joe veterans: Post Rubberband Legs-off Disorder, or PRLD.





Batman: Black & White statues captured the style of various artists' renditions.

Hellooooooo nurses! I couldn't begin to tell you what they were promoting.






That place was crowded this year.

Slightly off topic, but the rear balcony of the Javits Center offers a great view of the U.S.S. Intrepid.

Check out Kirk checking out Mary Marvel. Seconds later, the guy in the red shirt was killed by a stray lightning bolt.


Artist Mike Deodato, Jr. adds to a collaborative Marvel poster, getting remarkable detail out of a Sharpie.





Elektra cleaned Deadpool's clock in front of a green screen at the display for the upcoming Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 game.



Peter Mayhew is probably more recognizable as Chewbacca.

Fat Momma!

Lou Ferrigno is the MAN, in better shape at 57 than I am at...than I ever was or will be.

I spotted Aaron Douglas, a.k.a. Chief Tyrol.

Out of all these pop culture celebrities, I was most excited to recognize John Noble. As Dr. Walter Bishop, he's one of the best characters on Fringe, and his meandering non sequiters and pseudo-scientific explanations really hold that show together while providing comic relief. You might also recognize him as Denethor from Return of the King. I had to get his picture, but every time I tried, someone would walk in front of me, or he'd pick up a sandwich he was eating. I finally got my opening, that moment when the sandwich was lowered and no one was between us. Of course, all he knew was that he took a bite of a sandwich and some paparazzi flash went off. I was reviewing the photo on my camera when I looked up and saw him giving me the evilest look, like he wanted to burn me alive. My friend suggested we get out of there with haste, and so we moved on. My apologies, Dr. Bishop.






I don't think there was a hula hoop scene in Jedi, but maybe there should have been.







Click the above image for a larger view of just how many HeroClix were assembled on one table. Now multiply that by three, and factor in the several bins below that table.

It's no wonder that woman wore a wedding ring.





Sam Kinison made that costume a long time ago, a really long time ago...

From this angle, he reminds me more of Creed's Joker. Saturday Night Fever Joker was pretty funny, too.












Black Canary seemed leery of the little guy with the camera.

Behold Dr. Strange, Master of the Mystic Apps. He looked like a real computer wizard.

Batman Beyond was not beyond waiting for the results of the costume contest. Nor, apparently, was Misty Knight.


She was so Raven.

And that was Saturday, a long and exhausting day. Believe it or not, I went back again on Sunday, and I got some more gems. We'll take a break for seven days before I share the rest of the experience. As they say in the funny books, to be continued...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home