12.04.2008

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XX

Things I've Learned Thursday is back after a long absence, not because anyone really demanded it but because I felt like doing another one.

* The main problem with Chinese Democracy is that it's too much Rose, and not enough Guns. There are two or three tracks that actually rock, and one or two slower ballads I also like, but overall it's a mess of different sounds and styles from to track to track to the point that the thing doesn't hold together as an album. I also suspect Axl had leftover rights to dialogue from Cool Hand Luke...

* A Fibonacci sequence is any sequence of numbers in which each integer is the sum of the two preceding numbers in the sequence, e.g.: 0,1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55....

* “e.g”, or exempli gratia translates from Latin to “for the sake of example”, though people often erroneously use “i.e” or ”id est”(“that is”) instead. I've certainly been guilty of this.

* I haven't been very happy with the news that Pushing Daisies would not be renewed, and that the 13th episode of the 2nd season of this brilliant show would end on a cliffhanger that would not be resolved. Since every episode lately has ended with some huge development, I keep fearing that we've reached 13 already. I finally brought myself to check, and as of today there are five new episodes remaining. According to the show's creator, should this indeed be the end, he would look to resolve the story in either a comic book or a film. Hopefully one of these options goes through and our closure isn't like that of Traveler, in which the creator of that canceled series ended up writing a “this is what WOULD have happened...” blog post.

* Doubling up on vitamins, drinking excessive amounts of grapefruit juice, skipping the gym, and going to bed by midnight helped me knock out a sore throat in a record one day. My cold has settled in my lungs and my muscles, but I can function with some aches and the occasional cough. A sore throat is the one cold symptom I can't bear, and the only thing that really incapacitates me completely is fever and delirium.

* Tylenol is awesome. I can't believe I was reluctant for so many years. I think it's a big part of the reason my sore throat wasn't as crippling and my other cold symptoms seemed less severe. I had the chewable stuff when I was a young child of course, but by high school decided I'd take no painkillers, as I feared addiction and thought seeking relief for pain made me weak. I was an idiot.

* Patrick Swayze is still alive, despite negative prognoses and tabloid rumors about his pancreatic cancer, which he's been putting up a good fight against.

* I'm not a kid anymore, although I almost consistently forget that chronological fact and think of myself as one. “You know, you are 34...” pointed out my mom the other day when I told her I wouldn't have more luck than she would talking with my father's shoulder doctor because I thought “they wouldn't listen to a kid.” She told me she was nearly 30 herself before she realized she was an adult. “You can do anything you want...” she said, then, being a mom and noting my expression, added “...within reason.”

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lorna said...

Isn't it awesome how moms can wrap it all up in so few words?

12/04/2008 5:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home