8.26.2008

Selective Palette

Considering it took me nearly twenty years to accept lettuce as food, and that in college I once ordered “Chicken with Broccoli/hold the Broccoli” from a Chinese restaurant, no one can really accuse me of having a wide range of tastes. Still, when I saw this food list over at Antick Musings, I thought I'd try it anyway. Of the 100 items below, the ones in BOLD are the ones I've actually tried, while the ones with a strikethrough are things I wouldn't eat if my life depended on it. Let's see just how selective my palette really is:

1. Venison
2. Nettle Tea
3. Huevos Rancheros
4. Steak Tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding

7. Cheese Fondue
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba Ghanoush
11. Calamari

12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo Gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit Wine made from something other than grapes
19. Steamed Pork Buns
20. Pistachio Ice Cream
21. Heirloom Tomatoes
22. Fresh Wild Berries
23. Foie Gras
24. Rice and Beans
25. Brawn, or Head Cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet Pepper
27. Dulce de Leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna Cauda
31. Wasabi Peas
32. Clam chowder in a Sourdough Bowl

33. Salted Lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root Beer Float

36. Cognac with a Fat Cigar
37. Clotted Cream Tea
38. Vodka Jelly
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried Goat
42. Whole Insects

43. Phaal
44. Goat's Milk
45. Malt Whisky from a Bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken Tikka Masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly Pear

52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald's Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty Gin Martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob Chips
61. S'mores

62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin

64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs' Legs
67. Beignets, Churros, Elephant Ears or Funnel Cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried Plantain
70. Chitterlings, or Andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and Blini
73. Louche Absinthe
74. Gjetost, or Brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang Souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe Beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse

90. Criollo Chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft Shell Crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole Poblano
96. Bagel and Lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee
100. Snake


Not surprisingly, out of 100 items I've actually tried 18, most of which I liked(except for the lox, cigar, and sauerkraut). I had to look up the majority of these items. In some cases I was surprised to read descriptions and think, “Well that sounds like something I'd try.” In others, I was shocked to learn, “That's so not bread!” I'd love to hear your reactions to this list and see how my tastes, or lack thereof, compare with your own. It’s a delicious world, but I apparently wouldn’t eat all of it.

9 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Dude, you ate a hot dog from a dirty water cart but won't try CARP?

How did you not know what sweetbreads were? Haven't you seen Hannibal?

Soft Shell Crab? No wonder you passed on the crab festival. You don't know the lusciousness that you are missing!

I just bought some ostrich at the vitamin store to nosh on.

Oh, and snake... tastes like chicken.

Live.. just a little ;)

8/26/2008 12:55 AM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

I've had both snake and alligator. Snake tasted like sausage the way it was prepared. Good stuff. Alligator tasted like fish with the texture of steak. Um... EW! Now I hear that Whale has the taste of steak with the consistency of fish. THAT, my friends, is good eat'n!!!

8/26/2008 2:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How rare do you like your beef? I mean, do you like having blood? If so, then you'd like Kobe Beef.

8/26/2008 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Black pudding isn't too bad, if you don't think about the process of it being made or what goes into it. A bit like eating a McDonalds, I suppose! :-)

Aloo gobi and baba ghanoush are also quite nice. I married a vegetarian and while I haven't entirely given up meat, I do eat vegetarian 99% of the time and have been introduced to a lot of nice stuff that way. So there's your solution - go out there and meet a girl that's adventurous with her food, and hold on to her!

And I suppose as a Scot I have to make a defense of haggis. It's nice. Really nice. Done well it's lovely. And you can also get a vegetarian version of it, which removes some of the troubling considerations of what bits used to be what. ;-)

I ate sweetbreads once: there was a multicultural day on at University and I thought "Free food + day off from lectures = good!". I didn't know what they were at the time - I think if I had, I might have balked a bit at that one. Still, one of life's rich experiences eh?

FawnDoo

8/26/2008 11:12 AM  
Blogger Lyndon said...

I can understand not wanting to eat certain things. But sometimes when you give into fear, you end up missing out on new great experiences.

Try a few of the dishes you don't think you'll necessarily want to try. Are you really that afraid of curry potatoes and cauliflower (Aloo Gobi)

Life goes by to fast, don't look back on it and think I should have done so much more!!

Thanks for giving me my post for later on today though :)

8/26/2008 11:21 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Venison is delicious. There's nothing better than a freshly baked biscuit and a hot piece of venison tender loin. Honestly, that's probably what they eat in Heaven.

8/26/2008 4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I had 46.... And I'm 18. Hahaha.

8/26/2008 5:43 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

...while I had 18, and might as well be 46. I think Crazy Neighbor wins this round. :)

8/26/2008 11:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

42 (which is an auspicious number) http://www.spiritualtramp.com/2008/08/the_omnivores_hundred.html

8/27/2008 10:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home