1.10.2008

Fit Warming

MWWhorenelli (10:24 PM): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsocCWiLh3s
Rey
(10:32 PM): Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she set that up.
MWWhorenelli (10:32 PM): Nor I, but it was actually from a radio show.
MWWhorenelli (10:33 PM): Couple of DJs did that...
MWWhorenelli (10:33 PM): ...which doesn't rule out her working with them...
Rey (10:33 PM): Not at all.
MWWhorenelli (10:33 PM):...since it leads in to her being "funny" and "cute".
Rey (10:33 PM): Just makes me believe a set up even more.
Rey (10:33 PM): Honestly, "Iron My Shirt"?
Rey (10:33 PM): I was like "What does that even mean?"
Rey (10:33 PM): Hells, my wife was like,
Rey (10:33 PM): "What does that even mean?"
Rey (10:33 PM): until Hillary's comment I was very confused.
MWWhorenelli (10:34 PM): And yet she's quick to spin it.
MWWhorenelli (10:34 PM): "Oh that's clearly rampant sexism."
Rey (10:34 PM): I thought it was just very odd weirdism.
MWWhorenelli (10:34 PM): yeahbuhhuhwha?
MWWhorenelli (10:34 PM): and then she's off doing her Clinton thing.
Rey (10:34 PM): "Sexism is alive and well."
Rey (10:34 PM): Very strange.
MWWhorenelli (10:34 PM): I just hope Michael and Linc can escape and foil her and the Company BEFORE she takes office ;-)
Rey (10:35 PM): I doubt it
Rey (10:36 PM): They'll get into her Senatorial chamber and encounter a Frightening Surprise.
Rey (10:36 PM): That she was the one orchestrating the Iraqi Trade Embargo.
Rey (10:36 PM): That she's the one that manipulated the Order of the Clones.
Rey (10:36 PM): and that she is in Fact Darth Gore
MWWhorenelli (10:36 PM): and she's Keyser Söze.
Rey (10:36 PM): "Finally my Rise to Power will be Complete!"
Rey (10:37 PM): Like where is Al Gore?
MWWhorenelli (10:37 PM): and she's actually BEHIND Global Warming.
Rey (10:37 PM): Exactly.
Rey (10:37 PM): It's part of her Death Star.
Rey (10:37 PM): To slowly boil the planet.
MWWhorenelli (10:37 PM): Weather Dominatrix.
Rey (10:37 PM): And destroy the world.
Rey (10:37 PM): After 1 million years!
Rey (10:37 PM): "I CONTROL THE CLIMATE!"
Rey (10:37 PM): "How so?"
Rey (10:37 PM): "I RAISE IT AN INCREMENT OF A DEGREE PER YEAR!"
Rey (10:38 PM): ::evil cackle::
MWWhorenelli (10:38 PM): Muahahaa!


And that is how geeks discuss politics, although Rey did go on to tackle things more seriously. I try to keep serious stuff to myself as much as possible.

Nearly every weather report I've listened to in the past few days has referenced global warming, from the average guy on the street saying he loves it to the sarcastic DJ joking that there's no such thing and it's normal to have Spring weather in January. Whether a fluke or ominous foreboding of a fiery future, I've enjoyed it. I like being outside, and it took the last few days to remind me how much I need it. Twice I started walking to my car at lunch, only to realize a walk was in order and turn around. The nearest shopping center is about a mile away, but I've been missing exercise and it was good. And though it was unseasonably warm, it wasn't hot enough that walking to get food left me in a mass of sweat, never a good thing.

On Tuesday I ate lunch outside, found a quiet set of steps on the edge of our office property near a grove of trees. Mornings have been rough this week. I began Monday in a chipper mood, but each day since I've woken up feeling an inexplicable emotional weight. I can only attribute to the inevitable roller coaster effect, that a person can only feel good for so long before dipping to balance things out. There's no reason for it either, no reason to dread waking up and going to work. I've really gotten a handle on my job, this week especially, and I'm getting faster as I understand various aspects of it and things become second nature. After fresh air and a long walk two days in a row, those feelings disappeared. It felt good to be outside, to increase my circulation. My thoughts were clear, blood washing away mud. Exercise and fresh air were luxuries I took for granted when I was young; now they seem to be necessities toward my health and emotional well-being.

I know the temperature will dip again, and I know at some point in the next few months I will wield a snow shovel again. It's still dark when I drive home, and some days that crushes me more than others. I used to leave my old job a lot later and it was always dark, but it never bothered me. I'd say running three miles and doing other exercises for an hour or more in the company gym right before my commute kept me alert and happy. It took a few warm days to remind me how good it felt to be fit. I'm starting to jog in place a little now, particularly at night when watching reruns of Scrubs, and I'll probably incorporate more when new episodes of my favorite shows return. The usual exercise I do when watching late night television, lounging in a chair doing cheese curls, was not working for me.

Exercise makes life better. I even had a female honk her car horn when I was walking back to work on Wednesday. Granted, it was one of my aunts who lives in the town where I work, but it was only the second day of walking. If age and relationship are inversely proportionate to the number of days I walk and the weather lets me keep walking each day, things should be looking up by Spring.

3 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

The "Iron my shirt" thing has been on the web for a while. Some guy held up a sign at a feminist rally. I wouldn't put it past her to set it up though ;)

1/10/2008 1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, found time to check just a couple of blogs quickly...

Yeah, the "iron my shirt" joke has been around a while, but the version of the pic in B13's link is doctored. The real sign didn't have the vulgarity.

1/10/2008 4:47 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

The feminist rally thing may be old, but those Boston DJs just did it to Hillary this past Monday. A lot of articles I've read have also speculated whether Slick Hillie hired them though, since they've done the Iron bit before.

1/10/2008 6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home