11.13.2007

Detachment

I’ve always been a bit oversensitive. I spend a lot of time thinking about how others perceive me, and analyzing conversations long after they end. One reason I prefer communicating online rather than in person or over the phone is having a buffer zone to think about what I want to say. It prevents me from saying something dumb that might haunt me afterwards.

Sensitive guy that I am, I entered a career in graphic design in which I create visuals for others to approve. My high school drawings consisted of stick figures and people with balloon muscles(or chests in the case of females), yet I decided to become an art major. I had a 98% math average and was taking college level courses. In any field requiring math, you’re either right or you’re wrong. Art direction is one of those fields in which whomever you’re designing for is right, even when they’re wrong. Subjectivity of course works both ways, and sometimes “wrong” might simply be a different opinion than my own.

I’ve heard some interesting comments over the years. A book client once told me that no professional graphic designer would use a double ruled border, and that a certain font choice was a “sin”. A former supervisor once pleaded with me not to use the color green anymore because to him it said “financial”. I had the word “DRAGON” in green over an illustration of a dragon, so that one puzzled me. Just yesterday someone schooled me in the use of blue, explaining that research showed blue does poorly with food advertisements. A decade ago when I was starting out at a small publishing company, an editor told me the same thing, except back then green was the color never to use around food.

The funny thing is, the latest comment didn’t really bother me. I’ve worked for three companies now. I’ve been doing this kind of work since 1996, and I’ve come to expect it. I can remember losing sleep over some of the criticisms I’ve received, even questioning my worth and ability. I took things personally. It took me too long to reach the level of detachment I have now. Does curving type make it look like a comic book? I’ll straighten it out; not a problem. Is red too flashy? Is it bad to put a photo below copy describing it? Should items on a page only tilt counter clockwise, if at all? Will a blue box harm an ad related to a kitchen product? And most importantly, if I create something that doesn’t match someone else’s vision in some way, does that mean I suck?

It took me a long time to realize the answer to that last question is “no”. In most cases, the requests I get aren’t unreasonable. And I find a lot of the critiques that would haunt me now amuse me. I think it’s a healthy attitude. I will question things and offer alternative solutions, but if someone still chooses an option I disagree with, I smile, make the change, and move on. I think it’s a key step in understanding that my job is my job, and my life begins when I leave the office. I’ve heard people older than I, with more experience, completely lose their temper and rail against the indignity of being told to use a certain typeface or avoid certain colors. It’s not worth getting upset over, and I can’t imagine their stress levels if they’ve never learned to deal with such occupational hazards.

I expect to hear these things now. You can never guess what someone is looking for, only gauge a general impression of his or her tastes. And what’s true for one company or individual will definitely change when you go somewhere else. I’ve discovered detachment in so many other areas of my life, learned the importance of rolling with the punches and keeping my sanity. Life’s too short to worry about things that don’t matter to me personally.

A banker has probably never been told, “Don’t use 4’s; they scare customers”. But, I’m sure that field has it’s own quirks just as any other. I’m sure there were times my dad came home from work and was still thinking about what was wrong with a certain car and why he couldn’t diagnose it. It would consume him until he inevitably figured it out. His diet led to his heart condition, but stress was surely a factor as well. I want to learn from other people’s mistakes as well as my own. Granted, the diet thing still needs work, but letting go of certain things in my career is a good step. That’s not to say I don’t take pride in my work or love what I do. Design is infinitely more interesting than punching a calculator all day. I’ve just discovered value in recognizing when a critique is a genuine lesson toward my own growth, and when it’s someone’s opinion that I shouldn’t take personally. I’m far happier in that realization than I have been in years.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was very wise. I wish I could reach that level of detachment. Perhaps I will if I ever find another job.

Oh, and change the font on your blog. It reminds me of the darkness in the very heart of man.

11/13/2007 1:54 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

thewritejerry made me laugh---he said what I would have rambled on and on about. Good on you. Just remember it's not the detachment that brings the peace. As humans, we're meant to be attached to some things.

11/13/2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

You would have rambled on and on about changing my font too, Lorna? Huh, maybe I should change it...;-)

J-No, I wish I could carry that wisdom to other areas of my life. I might be Mr. Patient at work, but I still lose my temper with my parents over nothing. I just had a big blow-up last night because my mom told me to check some clothes before she brought them to a thrift shop, and I THOUGHT she said "put those away or they're going to the thrift shop", and flipped out when I found some expensive clothes in the pile. I was half listening because I was watching tv when she first asked me to look.

Later I learned my dad had mixed up some of these items, unbeknownst to her, and she didn't know brand new jeans were in the pile. I don't know why I yell first and ask questions later with them when I'm not like that with anyone else, and they deserve my nasty persona least of anyone in this world. I seriously need to figure out why I can smile and nod with everyone else and lose my **** with my folks. Maybe I bottle everything up and release it on the only ones who will forgive me, but that's certainly not fair to them if that's the case.

11/13/2007 7:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suspect you lose it with your parents for the same reason that some spouses lose it with each other -- and boy, am I ever guilty of that.

With the ones we love most, we are the opposite of detached, and we should be. But that super-attachment means that they of any and all people can rub us the wrong way, mainly because what they say truly matters to us, while what other people say really doesn't. But, our attachment leads to a sort of hyper-familiarity, and we unfortunately begin to listen in shorthand instead of listen closely and deeply.

The world fatigues us -- I suspect that is one of the world's primary purposes -- and we find ourselves allowing ourselves to be the most tired around the people we feel safest with. That leads us to be lazy listeners and hasty talkers. Anger is an inevitable result.

One suggestion I try to follow (and often fail at) is to seek to understand the person talking to you BEFORE responding. Mimic (not sarcastically) back what they just said as a question, which gives them a chance to explain themselves.

"You want me to put that pile of clothes away except for the ones you can have for the thrift store?"

Sounds silly, but the pause that the question brings often brings calm with it.

At least, that's the theory. IN reality, sudden anger is very difficult to put down. But put it down we must.

11/14/2007 12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home