10.08.2007

Phantasmic Links 10.8.07

In 1982, Police Squad! aired four episodes before being canceled, with the final 2 shown a few months later. A network executive cited that his reason for canceling the series was that “viewers had to watch it in order to appreciate it.” Imagine that.

The series was ahead of its time, and did incorporate a slew of visual gags and clever plays on words that did require the viewer pay attention, especially since there was no laugh track. It would be some time before shows like The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Scrubs would prove that viewers were smart enough to catch subtle references and know when to laugh without being told something was funny. The show would go on to inspire the successful Naked Gun trilogy, with many of the same jokes revisited with a slew of new ones. Between parades this weekend, I found time to catch up with this landmark series on DVD, and I'm glad I did. From a wacky police scientist to elevators going to unusual places to an unusually tall officer, there were some great running jokes. I like that every episode ended on a fake freeze frame. Where most cop shows would actually freeze the last shot, on Police Squad! the actors would simply stand really, really still. There would always be something to give this away, and my favorite one involved pouring a cup of coffee that kept pouring while the actors remained motionless. There was also a shoe shine guy that knew anything if you gave him enough money. After this informant would help out Leslie Nielsen's Frank Drebin, other people from various careers would stop by for his help. My favorite is the priest that slips him some money and asks, “What do you know about life after death?” Classic stuff. I'm sorry it was cut down so quickly like so many great shows, but glad the films were born from its ashes.

And now, here are this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

Cloakfest 2007 is only a few days away! Am I as excited as I am? I think I am! Even though the deadline to send me “Flipping COMMON” submissions was yesterday, I'll extend it until Wednesday night, since I haven't actually received any...

The First Recorded IT Professional is funny, but it also shows us how simple concepts were once complicated, and how complicated concepts today will someday be simple.
Hat Tip: Darrell.

Futurama returns! A new feature arrives on DVD.

On a sadder note in animation, farewell, Saturday Morning Cartoons.

Well. I always did think Vader had a harmonica under there...

Sean posted the 10 Lamest Endings in Nintendo History.

Speaking of fun games with lame endings, the Banner Dungeon Escape game is short and sweet.

Witness the birth of a dolphin.

Letterman rips Paris some new ones, and doesn't let up.

Has one scientist created artificial life? Isn't this how every bad science fiction horror movie starts? One minute he's growing a bacteria, and the next it's terrorizing a city...

El Hombre Tranquilo probably shouldn't snack before going to bed.
HT: Darrell.

You know what the world needs? A young, satirical white rapper.

What happens when Adam West meets Frank Miller? Di-a-bolical!

Finally, Gravitee is golf...in spaaace! With a slew of unlockables and the pull of gravity, I could lose hours to this game.


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Darrell said...

Kids these days don't appreciate cartoons because they don't have to wait all week for them.

I've tried to think of some "common" items ... really, I have ... and I'll keep thinking...

10/08/2007 7:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home