10.01.2007

Phantasmic Links 10.1.07

Two more. Next weekend, I have two more parades, both for Columbus Day, and then I should be off until April, unless something else springs up. I had an interesting time with the job in Staten Island on Sunday, which like most parades involved more time waiting to get started than actually playing. I blame Pat Cooper, whom everyone seemed to know except me. Our band leader's son put him on the phone with his mother, and the comedian told her “Your son looks like he wants to kiss me, and I'm lookin' at your husband and he's no prize either.”

After all the ceremonies and hand shaking with famous people, we finally got moving. The most requested song was the Tarantella, Italy's Hava Nagila. A young group of ”Little Miss Sunshine”s had a dance routine to go with the song, which is why their teacher kept asking us to play it. When it was time to go home, I listened to my dad's driving advice rather than trust my own instincts. I told him we were clearly driving into a park, but he insisted: “This HAS to go through!” It went through several parking lots and ended in a circle. After that, I didn't listen to him anymore. He got tense when cars were stopped in front of us, even though he wasn't driving, and when we were on a bridge he asked “Are we on the bridge yet?”, forcing me to explain the concept of a “lower roadway” and point out that we were in fact on a bridge.

My dreams will surely be filled with colorful costumes, marching bands, a certain traditional Italian dance song, traffic, and possibly puppies. But first, I'll gather this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

Animachines lets you create animation online? I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I can't wait.
Hat tip: Darrell.

Speaking of animation, check out what happens along these walls.
HT: B13

Channel voltage through water, and it becomes a bridge. Water rules.

if you missed it, here's what Andy Samberg had to sing about Iran So Far.

“Click in the space above to generate an organic form unique to you in space and time”

These are some great underwater scuba pics.

In Hotcorn, you control a small sun as you cause popcorn to pop. I stopped around level 14, but I can see how this simple concept can become addicting.

Now you can create your own Posable Paper Hasselhoff. I hear these things are huge in Germany...

I always like discovering art on small or fragile media. Eggshell carvings fall into that category.

This quiz tests your knowledge of international food etiquette. I'd be really polite in some countries...
HT: J-No

Each week, Platform the Game adds a new level, and another layer to the story. It's a strange cross between video games, the Cube films, and a webcomic. I sat and played through all 21 available levels. Part of what sets it apart from other platformers is the fact that you have two characters to control, and coordinating their actions as you switch back and forth is tricky. I'll definitely play this each week as long as I remember...


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Hotcorn was very addictive... and made me hungry ;)

10/01/2007 12:13 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Whenever I hear hava negilia, I think the next lyric should be have two negilias, have three negilias...

I'm such a dork. I know.:)

That Iran song rocked by the way.

10/01/2007 6:31 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Whenever I hear hava negilia, I think the next lyric should be have two negilias, have three negilias...

ROFL, I have to remember that one.
(Also a dork :))

10/01/2007 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home