9.29.2007

Blogroll Hero Logos

As good as my new job is, there are definitely things I miss about my last one. The type of work I did involved a lot of typography, and while I'm no expert, after about 100 book jackets in the realms of science fiction or fantasy, though I still had a lot to learn, hopefully I learned a few things too. My new regular gig doesn't require that I play with type that often, so I plan to make time on my own to do just that: play.

Cardboard Monocle directed me to a great five-part series on the evolution of the Batman logo. Drawing inspiration from that, I turned to my blogroll. Just as I've imagined my fellow bloggers as comic book heroes or villains, I realized no character is complete without his or her own colorful logo. After spending some time perusing The Comic Book Database for further inspiration, studying which logos worked, and which ones didn't, I tried my hand at five. What if these people starred in their own monthly adventures in four colors? What might the logo look like for the cover of each issue?

Rey's A Point


The Write Jerry


Lorna in Wonderland


The Southern Conservative


B13 Fotographica


All of the above images may be clicked for a larger version.

I embraced this exercise in the spirit of fun and keeping some of my rusting abilities sharp. Hopefully no one minds and, if this has a good response, I may do more in the future. Some of your names really lend themselves to this type of treatment. If anyone prefers not to be included in future attempts at this, I'll respect that of course. Conversely, I'll definitely take requests.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

I like them a lot :)

9/29/2007 2:58 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Way cool! Thanks!! Can I integrate it on some of my stuff (eventually, when I have time to do more than just the occasional blog entry)?

9/29/2007 4:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They're all really good, I think I like the one you did of Lorna's the best.

Maybe it's the butterfly or the way the type changes colour at the bottom. Whatever it is, I like it!

9/29/2007 8:50 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that's awesome. I should do an MCF one.

9/29/2007 11:06 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Dude, that is awesome! I'd been away from the pc for a few days, so I've just now seen it. Those look great. Uh ... I guess it's ok for me to save a copy of my banner and use it at some point?

10/01/2007 2:38 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Sure D, although I might have to make a version that incorporates the gun-monkey. :)

10/01/2007 7:10 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

although I might have to make a version that incorporates the gun-monkey. :)

You realize, don't you, that if you did that, you'd make me literally tremble with glee?

10/05/2007 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home