2.19.2007

Phantasmic Links 2.19.07

I wish I could have every Monday off; it does wonders for my brain to not have to wake up and go back to work after two all-too short days. Of course, my time has been well spent. I saw Ghost Rider, which was pretty cool, if at the very least for the effects. At times there were plot holes you could drive a fiery motorcycle through if you gave it too much thought, but if you went along for the ride it was decent. I rank it somewhere above Marvel's weaker recent films(Daredevil, Hulk) and below its stronger franchises(Spider-man, X-men). It was visually spectacular, and this character could not have been brought to life a few years ago.

I also took some time going through my archives, adding post tags to any recurring series on this blog. It's a great feature and, knock on wood, the upgrade has only been positive so far.

In other news, my elbow still hurts. It wasn't as bad when I woke up on Sunday morning, and I could bend it slightly. At one point during the movie, a guy got up to get his girlfriend snacks. I guess neither of them have heard Dane Cook's bit about the girlfriend turning down food offers prior to the movie, then getting a craving halfway through. All I know is when I shifted back to give the dude room to pass, I ended up bending my arm and putting weight on it. The pain was excruciating, but he missed one of the coolest scenes in the movie, so that made me feel better. I think the swelling is going down, and I can bend my arm a little further than I could on Saturday. Hopefully this clears up before I have to go to work. At least it's not impeding my surfing and typing, and I can present this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

For $500 you can own a scale model of the Millennium Falcon in LEGOs. The force is strong with this one...

Every now and then, I see art and wonder, “Why didn't I think of that?” Rubik Cubism is precisely that sort of brilliant yet simple application.

BLUE

You give your love and friendship unconditionally. You enjoy long, thoughtful conversations rich in philosophy and spirituality. You are very loyal and intuitive.

Find out your color at QuizMeme.com!


Am I blue? This quiz found via Kev Bayer seems to think so.

Make your own Mooninite, unless of course you're from Boston...

Same Game 2 puts a hexagonal spin on an old favorite.

A subway station conceals the Empire's greatest weapon. Thanks, Curt!

Curt also sent me the Wheel of Food, so picking a place to eat lunch got a whole lot more interesting...

This week in the blogosphere: Who washed a dog with Poland Spring? Who got engaged? And who had a baby? Hopefully, I didn't mix up any of these links...

Remember Google™ from the past? Rey found their nostalgic and humble beginnings.

The B13 roundup:
Very Funny Ads

Crazy Origami

A diamond-covered Mercedes

Batman sighting

Sacre bleu! Une fusée!

Asian tow service, One, two, three

While we're still in the far East, let's tackle the puzzle that is Oshidama; it's harder than golf!

This Google™ image search quiz that Darrell sent me is a lot more addictive than it seemed on first glance.

The people clearly were on drugs when they were on television...

Finally, Sean has collected nearly every lightsaber battle in one place. I know of one he missed...


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger b13 said...

Crispin is a freakin' nut. A friend of mine went to a viewing of his newest film and it started with a slide show... and him reading all 8 of his books (hi, I want to be Andy Kaufman)

Then he shows his movie 'What Is It?' which both baffled and disturbed my friend. It's a cast of all Down Syndrome people and Crispin and it involves some sexually explicit material and lots of snails getting salt poured on them.

THEN, he does a Q & A, where he answers each question with a 10 minute response that usually doesn't actually answer the question that was originally asked. Everyone asked mostly about his movie he just screened. He did answer one Friday the 13th 4 questions and mention River's Edge being the only "commercial" movie he's in that he likes.

THEN, hour and a half wait to meet him, and $25 extra bucks for his poster (of a Nazi Shirley Temple.)

Very bizarre.

http://www.crispinglover.com/

http://www.crispinglover.com/whatisit.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQoQU-JlxOI

2/19/2007 2:24 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

River's Edge really is a pretty good movie ... in that freaky, dirty, uncomfortable, need-a-hot-shower-after-you-watch-it kind of way.

Loved the Rubik Cubism, btw.

2/19/2007 8:47 AM  
Blogger Janet said...

That elbow thing sucks, but it's noble that you continue to type long posts with a handicap. That just goes to show how dedicated you are to your craft.:)

2/19/2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

All my research seems to indicate bursitis. The swelling behind the elbow, the loss of mobility, the onset hours after irritating activity, the fact that i spend so much time in front of a computer with my arm bent.

Treatment is ice packs and NSAIDs to reduce swelling. it could last a week. if i have to see a doctor, he could drain the fluid with a needle and inject a corticosteroid. so, i'm trying the home care first to see if the rest, ice, elevation and anti inflammatory pills do the trick.

fingers crossed on my left hand; good thing i have today off.

2/19/2007 11:16 AM  
Blogger SwanShadow said...

I'm always puzzled when people opine that Hulk is one of the lesser Marvel Comics-based films.

No, it isn't as much sheer fun as the two Spider-Man movies we've seen thus far, but it's every bit as good as X2, which I happen to like very well. Does it tinker with the Hulk's origin? Sure, but in a way that makes sense for the movie Ang Lee made. (Is it really that much different from Sam Raimi's organic web-shooters, or his melding of the MJ and Gwen characters?)

Aside from the climactic battle -- which I'll concede could have been thought out more clearly -- I think Hulk is about as good a film as the character (never a favorite of mine, though I've been a Marvel junkie since the mid-'60s) warrants. The trivial and relentlessly mediocre Daredevil doesn't belong within the same parentheses, IMHO.

2/19/2007 6:31 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

I'm actually tougher on Hulk than I am on Daredevil. Daredevil was at best a sub-par Batman movie, below the Burtons but well above the Schumachers. It was ruined by the miscasting of Affleck and the inexplicable flirting scene with Jennifer Garner on the playground. Murdock's a hound, but hi, secret identity? I like the fights, the Evenescence soundtrack, and Colin Farrell's over-the-top performance as Bullseye.

DD was never expected to be a cinematic masterpiece. Hulk on the other hand was built up because Ang Lee was directing. And I had more invested in the character because I was a bigger fan of Hulk than Daredevil. Peter David had a phenomenal run on those books, and I even like the cheesy tv reunion movies Bixby and Ferrigno made in the 90s("Jasmine...I am Free" ::sniffle::).

Where does Hulk lose me? It has a spectacular desert sequence hearkening back to the classic comics. It has Jennifer Connelly. But it also has this green balloon with variable sizes. The Hulk gets stronger when he gets mad, not more like a Macy's parade float. Then Lee over does 24-style panel insets in an attempt to make it look like a comic book. This move reminded me of Schumacher using monotone lighting in Batman & Robin for the same reason, forgetting that a lot of those magenta or cyan panels in the 60s were done to save ink. It might have worked if used sparingly, and for significant scenes. Instead it was random.

Finally, there was Nick Nolte's over-the-top performance. That father and son scene on the stage was ridiculous when he starts yelling to mock him. I was embarassed for all involved. And then there's the ridiculous "end-boss", whose identity I won't spoil. Abomination, Leader, Absorbing Man--a plethora of characters to choose from and THAT'S who he fights.

So to sum up, I went into DD with low expectations and found parts of it enjoyable(fight sequences, soundtrack). I went into Hulk with overly-high expecatations, and had them dashed.

If my like or dislike of a comic book movie is based on my expectations though, Spider-man 3 and FF2 better be really good...

2/19/2007 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home