8.16.2006

TBW: Terragen™ Blog Wednesday

What is Terragen™ Blog Wednesday? Last week, TheWriteJerry clued me in to free three-dimensional terrain generating software known as Terragen™(presumably short for “terrain generation”). I've worked with illustrators who've used similar software but I've never actually dabbled myself. There are a lot of variables to consider when creating a scene. How high is the sun? Where is your camera positioned? Where is your target? What level is the water at? How thick are the clouds? And most importantly, what shape is the terrain?

Such programs work using a two-dimensional image map in which shades of gray indicate the height and texture of the ground. The flat map is then translated and interpreted. I've found that you can even import images with varying degrees of success. Taking a butterfly from my last Photo Blog Wednesday, I embossed it and converted it to a simplified grayscale image, like so:



After positioning my camera, adjusting sunlight and water height, this was the three-dimensional interpretation of the above map:



Cool, yes? You can click the above image for a larger version. Of course, looking through Terragen™’s sample gallery is humbling and makes me realize I have a lot to learn about this program before I can take the images to the next level. With practice though, I think I'll have some great visuals to share. In the meantime, enjoy some of the other scenes I created today. Clicking on most of these will bring you to a slightly larger version:





Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Verily, I say "Woah, way cool!"

(and a new hobby is born...)

8/16/2006 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on getting to know Terragen. I have some renders linked over at my blog, if you care to look.

8/16/2006 12:22 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

It would be totally worth it for the teleportational abilities.

8/16/2006 12:24 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Those are great! That's the next thing I have to play with, working with surface map children and siblings to get combinations of different textures, sand to grass to rock or snow etc.

Some of the more complex renders take a while, even at a small resolution. The butterfly island was the most complex, clocking in at 43 minutes. I also had trouble with the camera on that. I set the Z axis high to see the whole island, not just the head, but the sky dome cut off before the ground. AFTER I got it to render with the camera at the height I used, I read on the FAQ where you can set the sky to extend.

Still learning, but having fun after just a few days. :)

8/16/2006 12:31 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Very cool. I really like the second to last one!

8/16/2006 12:58 PM  
Blogger Scott Roche said...

The red one is my favoritest but those are all fantastic!

8/16/2006 1:48 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? That's a really good question. I want to say great art is born out of living experiences, but sometimes art inspires us to live something we wouldnt have otherwise.

Quite the philosophical debate you could have here.:)

8/16/2006 5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home