8.14.2006

Phantasmic Links 8.14.06

It's that time of year again, when the Sycamore trees lining the parking lot at my office drop piles of dried brown leaves, giving the early appearance of Autumn. Fall is right around the corner though, and as the heat wave we experienced last week has now given way to much cooler temperatures, Summer is basically over. Granted, as an adult there's not the same distinction between seasons as there was when I had Summers off, and the year is one blur of nigh identical weeks. Yet I feel a sadness, and a subconscious sense that fun time is over, as if soon I have to go back to school. It also means the growing locust-like swarm of screaming children infesting my neighborhood might soon clear the streets. No one will break our new fence, or throw rocks at my dad's car. I can drive down the block without worrying about some kid riding his or her bike out a driveway without even looking both ways. I don't have to wait for a sea of children, their parents nowhere in sight, to part so I might pull into my own driveway. Saturday I escaped this mob for a few hours to spend time at a barbecue and appreciate the perfect weather. Sunday I was a bit more of a prisoner in my own home, but after dinner when the streets were clear I was able to drive down to the beach, walk to a secluded spot, and watch a perfect sunset. I may end every weekend listening to the crashing waves and admiring the changing hues in the sky, at least until the nice weather truly ends. We might still get some warm days, and as a dwindling commodity they're going to be precious. Before we start the week and get back to reality, let's have just a little more fun time with this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS?:

I try to be compassionate. I try to understand that we're all human, imperfect, and likely to stumble. Now that I know the truth about Mel Gibson though, it makes it harder to be forgiving. Thanks to the NYC Nomad for tipping me off to the depths of his evil. I guess hate starts in the refrigerator...

It's amazing how much time I lost playing something as simple as Tringo this week. It's so addicting. The best I could do was 285, and I've yet to crack it.

For an entirely different kind of addictive time waster, check out this Interactive Pipecleaner Dancer that Curt brought to my attention. I've had the most fun with Miss Jackson and Groove is in the Heart, especially the latter. I actually stopped typing and started dancing in my chair, miming the slide whistle and making turntable motions and white boy interpretations of classic Cosby moves. Yeah. OK, embarrassing confession of the week aside, it's time to move on...

Are you a geek in need of inspiration? Maybe these Star Trek posters are just what you need. Thanks, Sean!

Here's a really early look at the new Simpsons movie. “I'm part of the mob!”

Next time you and your friends have an empty theater to yourselves, consider a game of Real Space Invaders. If you don't have enough people, there's always Human Pong.

Wii will be mine. Oh yes, Wii will be mine... Hat tip to Rey.

Here's another one for the gamers: a kid beats Mega Man X1 and X2...simultaneously with one controller! Video is in two parts. I couldn't even tie two pairs of shoes at the same time...

For today, I'm simply going to share this debate as to whether or not video games cause violence. My stance on this subject, and hopefully some discussion, will appear tomorrow.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

Do video games cause violence? That's a loaded question. I honestly dont think anyone one factor decides something as big as that. I do, however, think video games contribute to attention span. From a teacher's standpoint, it is much more difficult to engage students nowadays because they are so used to being stimulated. In fact, I wish I was (or knew) a video game developer bc I think I have a pretty good way of bringing the two worlds together.

8/14/2006 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home