8.10.2006

Where were you?

On September 11th, 2001, I was driving to work, listening to Howard Stern, when he was interrupted and passed along the news he'd heard that a small plane had hit the Twin Towers. The group wasn't too fazed at first, talking about how bad it might be, but as more information trickled in, they began leaping to the conclusion that we were under attack. I thought it must be a joke, or them overreacting to a small accident. Sure, a few people might be hurt or dead, but what's two or three people in the grand scheme of things? When we hear of a disaster, many of us have a natural, horrible instinct to immediately try to minimize it by focusing on the numbers, when in reality one untimely demise is a tragedy. As I got closer to work that morning and more accurate reports of jet airliners hitting the towers rolled in, the nightmare became real.

I don't think any work got done that day. People huddled around radios in the office. Some found a television downstairs to gather around. Theories were formed, and conclusions were leapt to. Meanwhile, coworkers slowly started wondering about loved ones who worked in the city, and tried to reach them. One woman's husband, who worked in the vicinity of the attacks, would be among the ash-covered survivors to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Another worker would learn his mother was safe as well, while a woman in the cafeteria would face the horror of losing her husband, a chef working on the top floor of one of the towers. The day got worse and worse, hearing the descriptions of bodies falling or leaping from the towers to escape the extreme heat of the inferno. No one expected one let alone both towers to crumble. It was unreal and felt like the end of the world. Flights were grounded and most television stations were knocked out with the loss of the antennas atop the towers. We were dismissed early, and in the coming days would continue to follow the story closely. At my house, only one or two television stations worked, but all carried the same story. For weeks after it happened, I cringed every time I heard a plane fly overhead. Rey pointed out how irrational this was, and the unlikelihood that my home would be a target. The towers were huge symbols of America, and had been attacked before. Nevertheless, who among the victims expected any of it when they got up to go to work in the morning, on a routine morning like any other? We weren't at war. War didn't happen, not on U.S. soil. War was something in our history books, or in far away countries we'd see blips of on the news before changing the channel to watch a sitcom or a drama.

As days went on the numbers grew. Web sites were set up by desperate people looking for lost loved ones. My ex-girlfriend e-mailed me with the news that one of the missing was the husband of a former coworker. We'd been to their wedding. They had one child, and another on the way that October. He would never be found. Life would never be the same. I noticed a profound difference between talk shows on the East and West coast, as West coast hosts like Jay Leno began joking and talking about other things in the world while the mood remained solemn for Letterman and Conan O'Brien here on the East coast. Rudy Giuliani would go on Saturday Night Live and let us know when it was time for comic relief. Time was still needed. I've never been to Ground Zero. Many of us here on Long Island weren't in the city when the planes hit, or when the towers fell, but we were close enough to feel the emotional impact. Going to the city would be different for years. Looking up at skyscrapers for the first time was daunting when I was a kid. On my first trip I noticed a t-shirt in a store listing all the things one shouldn't do to avoid looking like a tourist. Besides “avoid eye contact”, the list advised not to look up at the tall buildings. It took conscious effort but I overcame the temptation. After seeing the towers fall on the news, seeing people engulfed by a gray mass of smoke and rubble that rolled out for blocks swallowing everything in its path, the awareness returned. Subway tunnels became daunting as well.

It's hard to grasp the notion that things like this happen all the time in the world, that geographic proximity or personal connections to victims makes us “too sensitive”. I realize I've probably written about all of this at one time or another in the past, and it’s not something I like to revisit. Darrell posted a trailer a few days ago for the World Trade Center movie, and that brought me right back to five years ago. Five years--! In that time I've been back to the city plenty of times, and don't notice airplanes anymore. Slowly life does go back to normal. But the nightmare was real. It did happen. In the trailer I see shots of the shadow of a plane soaring over buildings. I see police officers and fire fighters in the lobby of the towers as they crumble. That one shot chills me to the bone. There was plenty of footage of the collapse from the outside, but placing us inside brings home the horror of it all once again. I read the message boards about the movie after seeing Darrell's post and found myself alternately sad and angry. I couldn't believe all the “get over it” and “who cares?” comments. One poster asked, “Isn't the world bored already?” Five years isn't that long ago, and seems like less. I remember the humanity and unity in the days following the attack, the uncharacteristic brotherhood of New Yorkers helping each other, dissolving stereotypes of crime and rudeness. Countries around the world showed their support, a French Newspaper declaring, “We are all Americans.” How much has changed since then? Conspiracy theories run rampant as documentaries like Loose Change posit the demolition of the towers by our own government, picking and choosing quotes and footage to support the theory and create a very plausible tale with dubious science that is easily refuted. Worst of all, I came across people citing casualty numbers and point out how there have been worse tragedies and more lives lost in wars. It all brought back my guilt over my initial hope that it was “only” a small plane and a few people. Even one untimely demise is a tragedy.

I'm torn about World Trade Center the movie. In some respects, “too soon” is still my gut feeling. Even with 10% of the profit going to charity, it's still dramatizing a very real and very recent tragedy. If the trailer and various reviews are any indication though, it may be a very real and unbiased account of the events. I don't think I'll see it in theaters, see the recreation of something one of my cousins and others I know saw firsthand. Where was I? I saw it on television. I wasn't there. I was an hour's drive from there. Maybe for some people, it's not too soon. For people outside of New York, these events are as distant and dismissible as all the wars and other disasters in the world that have been distant and dismissible to me. Only when I couldn't change the channel was I forced to see. Maybe this is an important movie and people need to see it. Some are set in their opinions, and may not change, while others will be slammed by a very necessary reminder. It's ironic that when the media chooses to focus on some drunk driver, we need to go to the movie theater to revisit something sad, tragic and significant. The trailer alone sent me back to where I was five years ago. Where were you?

8 Comments:

Blogger Lyndon said...

I was sitting at home because I had the day off from college.

I had just finished playing a game of Madden and decided to catch some of the morning news.

I tuned in at the same time they were showing the smoke coming from the first tower and then off to the side, you saw the second plane crashing into the other tower. I can still remember the newscaster saying out loud, did I just see that.

I think you bring up some good points in your post and I think it's still to soon for movies about this tragedy.

Don't let the comments from a few idiots, sour your view on the rest of us. People still care!

8/10/2006 6:48 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Many of us here on Long Island weren't in the city when the planes hit, or when the towers fell, but we were close enough to feel the emotional impact.

I think that most of us kinda felt like we were close enough to feel it that day. If that French newspaper said that on that day everyone was an American, then I think it's safe to say that, in a way, on 9/11/01 every American was a New Yorker.

I spent the first half of my review of United 93 recounting my memories of that morning. I probably shouldn't have done that in a movie review, but the memories conjured up by that film were so strong.

I made my first trip to New York on October 5, 2005. We came in from New Jersey with Wendy driving, so I got to do the hillbilly-in-awe thing, staring at the skyline in amazement. Wendy pointed out where the two towers should have been. Wendy couldn't get over how different the skyline looked. At one point on the BQE I was able to see the cranes at ground zero. It was like my stomach sank to the floor.

I couldn't believe all the “get over it” and “who cares?” comments.

I don't think that people are getting stupider. Really. I'm sure that there were just as many stupid people with that same attitude five years after Pearl Harbor. It's just that now, with the internet, every idiot gets a soapbox, no matter how brief or pointless.

8/10/2006 8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in my car driving to work listening to Howard Stern, marveling at what a beautiful crisp morning it was, and then, the news...

8/10/2006 9:15 AM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Like MCF and thegreek, I too was on my way to the office, listening to Howard Stern. The thing is, I almost never listen to Stern, but I knoew right away it wasn't a joke. During the entire day, I flipped to lots of different news stations on TV and the radio, but Stern's initial coverage was actually the most informative because New Yorkers called in to his show instead of into the news with reports.

8/10/2006 11:56 AM  
Blogger Scott Roche said...

I was at work posting on my (at the time) favorite message board. We kept each other updated on the news and I watched the news on a little portable tv I had in my office. I remember all the rumors and how confused everyone was.

8/10/2006 3:37 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I can't imagine what it was like in NY that day. I'm fairly close to where Flight 93 came down, and that was very surreal. I was at work and I was praying for and concerned about my mom because she was going in for gall bladder surgery. The news then started coming in. She and my dad watched it at the hospital right until they wheeled her away, I stayed at work and went through it with my coworkers.

8/10/2006 4:58 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

I started working on a post on the spur of the moment the other night after seeing a commercial for the new World Trade Center movie. Little did I know what would happen a few days later.

Needless to say, I need to redraft and edit a bit before posting.

8/10/2006 9:18 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Indeed. Had I posted a few hours later, there would have been much more to say. Eerie. :/

8/10/2006 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home