8.15.2006

The Video Games or the Violence?



Yesterday I linked to the above video from ”Attack of the Show”, a cable series that deals with video games. In it, the release of an upcoming game, ”Bully”, was discussed by a panel consisting of Jack Thompson, a lawyer opposed to video games, Adam Sessler, one of the show's hosts, and Mark Friedler, CEO of gaming newsletter GameDaily. Thompson opposed the upcoming game, based on some early screen shots of various acts of violence, including a child having his head dunked in a toilet. He took a firm stance that video games are increasing violence in our society, citing that a child in 1997 who shot three of his classmates had somehow “trained” by playing the game Doom. Sessler took on an argumentative stance, straying at times from solid debate, yet did make some good points one of which was the fact that “violence existed prior to the release of even Pong.” Friedler's best contribution to the discussion, aside from citing freedom of expression, was the fact that his own two young boys had fought without ever playing a single game. Violence is inherent in all of us.

When horrible things like school shootings occur, there's a natural need to find a logical explanation, something to blame. Video games do have a rating system, though I doubt stores strictly enforce it. Even if they do refuse to sell certain games to minors, adults and even parents may be buying the games without really looking at the label. As for the consoles, there are failsafes built in. My PS2 refuses to play movies that are PG-13 or worse until I input my code. It's a useful tool for a parent, but I think we live in an age where children know more about technology than their parents, and easily circumvent such blocks, if parents are aware of them to begin with. As more and more people my age, having grown up with more exposure to games and computers, begin to have children I wonder if we'll see a shift in this trend. Kids really are born with violent trends. In elementary school I was often beaten by other kids, in an age where the most violent game was Donkey Kong. None of my bullies ever threw barrels at me, so I doubt that was the source of their inspiration. In some cases they did have more lenient parents than I did, who let them in to see R-rated movies and allowed them to stay awake and watch television past 9 PM. I know for a fact some of my opponents were emulating the now cartoonish exploits of The A-Team. Kids shouldn't see certain things before they're ready.

Is a game like Bully art imitating life, or will life imitate the art? Which came first? The chicken or the egg? The video games or the violence? Parents really need to take an active role in their children's lives and interests. I never had a television or a computer in my room. For a time when I was really young, our only television was in my parent's room, a 13” black and white set, and I had to watch what they were watching and vice versa. By the time I got my Intellivision, my mom had a new color set and I inherited the black and white one. I was limited to no more than an hour a day, and when I repeatedly pushed my limits my mom took a pair of scissors and cut the power cord to the television, to prove she meant business. My dad spliced the wires when he got home from work, and a few days later I tested my limits again. After she cut the wire a second time, my mom had my fear and respect. By high school, I had an NES with removable controllers. All my mom had to do was confiscate the controllers during the week, and I focused on my homework, with the goal of getting the controllers back for the weekend as a reward. I can't yet speak as a parent, but from my experience as an adult looking back on his childhood I'd say parents shouldn't worry about their children liking them. Be a parent first, and a friend later when your child grows up and appreciates the tough love.

We also live in an age where financially, it's difficult if not impossible for one parent to support a family the way my dad did. More and more mothers work, but the kids don't have to be unsupervised. I know plenty of mothers in my office who stay in contact throughout the day not only with their children, but their teachers, grandparents, and nannies. They call to make sure the television is off and homework is being done. Cell phones allow parents to reach children wherever they may be. Technology can be a source of good as much as an inspiration for evil. Violent images and lyrics can stir violence in children already prone to it, but through controlled exposure and parental involvement these children can be guarded until mature enough to handle it. I believe there are positive effects to video games too. Walking through a Babies “R” Us today I marveled at how many computerized learning toys there are for infants. Janet alluded to using games as a teaching tool yesterday. Games do increase reflexes and better prepare children for careers in which computer skills are mandatory, but the digital age has resulted in shorter attention spans. Kids can still be taught, but in a different way. Educational games probably don't sell as well as the violent ones, which may be another problem with the industry. If there were a market for schools to purchase these games, perhaps more would be manufactured. I vaguely remember a few from my Intellivision days, like The Jetsons' Way With Words and Mr. Basic Meets Bits ‘n Bytes.

Thompson has the right intentions, if the wrong target. My parents thought my generation was out of control, and here I am ironically thinking about “Kids today...” How bad will their children be, or the subsequent generations? A woman approached me in a park yesterday, followed me to my car and told me that she believed we as human beings could learn to get past our differences and cease fighting, and offered to show me a passage in the bible that said as much. I'm not sure the local park is the place for missionary work, to quell the violence in the world. In my case she was more or less preaching to the choir. In the same way, Thompson speaking out against a game that hasn't even been released, based on a few pictures and a rough description, is not attacking the problem at its source. As for the game itself, when I finally saw the trailer it struck me as a cross between The Simpsons and Rebel Without a Cause. Sometimes, a cause can blind a person to the very thing he's fighting against. The leap of some games are bad equaling all games are bad is akin to condemning an entire race or religion for the actions of a few of their number.

When I have kids, I probably won't be cutting any electrical cords, but they won't be playing games in our house while they're still in their single digits. I can't help what they play at their friends' homes or what they're exposed to in school, but I plan to keep a dialogue with them. When they're old enough to play games I can play with them, and discuss the differences between reality and a game. They'll sigh in exasperation, maybe even snap, and I'll just be their lame old man. My words will be in their subconscious when they make important decisions though, and they may be picked on by other kids for not conforming. When they're grown, they'll be able to watch whatever shows and movies they want, read their choice of books, and play their favorite games and songs. When they're old enough to make choices, choices should be available to them. They might end up enjoying violent games after all. They won't pick up a real gun though, because for one thing there won't be guns in the house. That's definitely a factor in any school shooting, and one that's oddly overlooked in favor of other scapegoats. A boy takes his dad's gun and shoots other kids because he played a video game? Why did his dad have a gun? Before these problems can be addressed and solved, the right questions need to be asked.

What do you think? Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? Did violence come before video games or vice versa?

9 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

I've never heard of this game called Bully, but the title alone makes me think it probably wouldn't be the best influence on impressionable minds everywhere.

I know this isn't the point of your post, but I take issue with so called "educational" videogames out there. More of than not I'll find my students hitting random buttons till they get it right. This doesnt mean they learned anything or even in a gameplay sense that they could do it again.

In my mind I think a video game that marries both worlds is the way to go. It might have to have a little violence and definitely super special effects. It would be a game.But kids would have to know fundamental things in order to open doors, get keys and get to the next level. I'm not a developer but in theory it sounds like such an obvious progression in gaming.

As for TITMT, I can't see why you cant particpate on Thursday and add your link then. I'm still learning myself and so I tried to update the directions. It's not perfect, but it will work...for now.

8/15/2006 9:08 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Great post MCF. I subscribe to the mindset that video games are the result of our society becoming more violent, not the cause. We're going to make the decision on when our kids can play video games, watch certain kinds of movies, etc as we go along. The only thing I'm insisting on is that they don't have their own TV or computer until they're well into their teenage years.

At any rate, Dave used to work at Blockbuster and now works at a toy store and you would not believe the number of "parents" who come in yelling because a movie or video game their kid got had material they didn't approve of. Even ignoring all the ratings that these things come with, what happened to the days of monitoring what your kid played or watched before they played or watched it? I remember being 7 years old and terribly upset and throwing tantrums because my mom wouldn't let me see Back to the Future at the theater. She wouldn't let her 7 year old see a movie with so much swearing and taking the Lord's name in vain. We just watched this movie the other day, for the first time I had a "future parent" mindset, and I've got to agree with her. I think it was the right call, but it's a call the majority of the parents these days don't want to make because they don't want to deal with the whining and overall work of raising a kid!

8/15/2006 9:26 AM  
Blogger Lyndon said...

Interesting post MCF. Having grown up watching violent movies and playing violent games, Jack Thompson would have you believe that I should be a danger to society.

But I can honestly say, I've never been in actual serious fight. I don't own a gun and I never even got sent to the princples office.

The simple truth is, if kids have parents or strong role models in their lives. Who take an active interest to make sure that they know what is wrong from right. The kids will be alright.

But when kids are left to raise themselves and figure things out on there own. That's where the trouble begins.

As far as the game Bully goes, it will probably get a lot of coverage in the mainstream media and thats what the publishers of the game want. Free publicity, because in the end you still have to make a good game and so far the overall consensus is that it sucks.

8/15/2006 4:42 PM  
Blogger Otis said...

Good stuff. I beleive video games are our friends. You can probably remember if you think back that people tried to blame cartoons for violence as well.

I guess if I dropped an anvil on someones head that it's really Warner Brothers fault.

I beleive that a psychopath is born a psychopath. There are people that are born to commit violent crimes, no matter how their parents raised them.

People will always want to blame someone else for their childs issues. I play a violent video game at least four times a week. It involves shooting other people and it is very bloody. I find it helps me relieve stress after a hard days work. Plus, it's just fun as crap!

Let me play my game!

8/15/2006 4:45 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I like to shoot zombies.

8/15/2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

you would not believe the number of "parents" who come in yelling because a movie or video game their kid got had material they didn't approve of. Even ignoring all the ratings that these things come with, what happened to the days of monitoring what your kid played or watched before they played or watched it?

Exactly. Too many parents buy something to keep the kids occupied, and leave them ALONE with it, which is the worst possible thing. I'm sure it's not easy, but parents should screen things before letting their kids see them. You can't assume something bought in a toy store is automatically all-ages friendly.

if kids have parents or strong role models in their lives. Who take an active interest to make sure that they know what is wrong from right.

Active is the key word, there. We can't just pop in media and leave the room.

I guess if I dropped an anvil on someones head that it's really Warner Brothers fault.

This IS the age of frivolous lawsuits and you probably would find a lawyer to represent that position and get media attention at the same time. I remember the campaigns against my favorite cartoons in the 80s too. These days shows have age ratings and parents have V-chips, which is something they should take advanatage of as it wasn't around when we were kids.

8/15/2006 8:13 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Video games clearly effect us badly and should all be banned. I, for instance, harbor a deep hatred of red and blue geometric shapes because of having played this game as a child.

Of course, it would be foolish to think that kids grow up to be bad people because of bad parenting. When I was a kid we used to play "cowboys and indians" with toy cap guns. In those days, enlightened parents wouldn't let their kids paly with cap guns because all of us kids who were playing with guns were going to grow up to be serial killers.

Of course, they were right. To this day, when I see an indian, I try to kill him with a toy gun.

When I was a teenager I was told I was going to turn into a Satan worshiping Nazi heroin addicted male prostitute for listening to Motley Crue. So by then it wasn't cap guns, it was metal that was to blame. Of course, they were right. You have no idea how hard it is to spend your time trying to kill indians with a cap gun between worshiping Satan and scoring heroin.

Actually, rock and roll also made me illiterate, so there were a few years when I was mistakenly worshiping Santa. Thankfully, someone corrected my spelling and I was able to get on track with the Prince of Darkness.

Nowadays the enlightened parents blame the video games for all the ills of the world. And, of course, they're right. Cap guns, video games, rock and roll, television... they're all to blame. It's NEVER a lack of proper parenting, is it?

8/15/2006 9:21 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

I used to think that life imitated art, that art indicated the next evolution of our culture. But, then real life started to be worse than what art or games could have ever imagined with the school shootings, serial killers and even 9/11. I think you said it best that it comes down to the parenting to keep the kids in balance. My sister won't let my nephew have a game system in his room, so the hard part is knowing what he's up to when he goes to a friend's house. Even I used to sneak in the R-rated movies on HBO at a friend's slumber party.

8/16/2006 6:35 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I'll go with Kelly's comment on violetn video games being the natural outcome of our society, not the other way around. However, I think either way, it's scary. People, especially people who don't spend a great deal of time in self-examination, can be so influenced by what they see as the norm.

8/19/2006 12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home