4.07.2006

Visual Contemplation

Over the years, I've often enjoyed quiet time thinking and observing, becoming lost in whatever I'm gazing at. Whether bored in class or zoning out on a long trip, there have been many things that captured my eye for extended periods of time. In no particular order, here is a list of some of them.

1) The inside of my room as seen through my mirror.

2) My reflection in the window of a bus or train, my face half recessed into shadow.

3) Clouds.

4) The infinite reflection created by folding the three sections of my bathroom mirror/medicine cabinet into a triangle by opening the two outside doors.

5) M.C. Escher's self-portrait.

6) The linoleum pattern on my floor.

7) The wood grain of church pews.

8) The reflection in my trombone of a girl I had a hopeless crush on in the seventh grade.

9) The spackle patterns on my ceiling and the shapes I've made out in them, including a white ninja, a giant moth, and a five-eyed specter.

10) Waves at the beach.

11) Squirrels running along power lines.

12) Dandelion seeds drifting through the air.

13) Soap suds.

14) The red inside of my closed eyelids with a flashlight held against them.

15) A pretty girl's eyes.

16) The dotted line in the road whizzing beneath a school bus.

17) An airplane or helicopter passing by overhead.

18) My uneven thumbs.

19) Particles of dust in beams of sunlight streaming through an open window.

20) Christopher Walken soaring through space.

21) The broken branch STILL hanging precariously over four parking spaces at my job for a month and a half.

22) Denim.

23) Mashed potatoes, which always mean something, and are always important.

24) A bowl of snapping, crackling, and popping Rice Krispies

25) Zombo.com

4 Comments:

Blogger Rhodester said...

If you REALLY want those branches to come down, just buy a new car and park it under them. Worked for me.

4/08/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

I'm not ready for a new car yet but were it not for the 4 traffic cones my company used to block off the 4 spots, I'm sure parking my old car there would work too. I have tried walking under it but surprisingly it hasn't landed on me yet. I'm starting to think it's never coming down.

4/08/2006 1:01 PM  
Blogger Lorna said...

Try looking into a cat's eyes at night....

I have done the quiz, but my html notes, which haven't been helping me all that much, are back at my house, so maybe you could just go look....

4/08/2006 10:56 PM  
Blogger Janet said...

That Christopher Walken link should come with a disclaimer. It's powerful stuff. Incidentally, I could hear Mr. Walken saying those very words himself.:)

4/08/2006 11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home