2.04.2006

2005's Movies

In the comments section of the 2005 Myclofig call-for-nominations, a very good point was raised by Janet, who writes: ”Isn't it so sad that I am drawing a blank? I think this is because I tend to wait for video now, so I won't see 2005's best until sometime in 2006:(“

It's no secret that the Academy seems to focus on movies made toward the end of the year, the ones freshest in their minds. Directors strive to get December releases, if only in major cities, in order to be considered. January, February, March--those first few months are death, and it's why during the coldest months of the year, when there's not much to do outside, there aren't that many good movies in theaters. I'm not a big theater-goer myself, reserving certain movies for viewing on the big screen and saving the rest for DVD. So it is that movies I think came out last year were actually from 2004.

To make this nomination process a bit easier on my readers, I've compiled a partial list of the movies that were released last year. I haven't seen all of these myself. Some I want to see; others I don't. There are even a few I've never heard of. I'm sure I've missed some, and that readers will nominate ones I missed. This is not the list of nominations for the Myclofigs, nor are these the only films you should limit your nominations to. I realize I also have readers from outside the United States, so feel free to nominate American movies in the “Best Foreign Film” category, if you'd like. The foreign(outside the U.S.) films in the list below are included based on their release date here; many came out earlier in their countries of origin. You can nominate films for multiple categories where appropriate.

Remember, all nominations must be sent to MCFSPU@hotmail.com by Thursday February 9th, to be considered. Once I've announced the nominees, I'll then collect your votes up until Wednesday, March 1st and announce the winners you chose on Saturday, March 4th.

Here are many of the films you have to choose from

The 40 Year Old Virgin
2046
A History of Violence
A Sound of Thunder
Alone in the Dark
The Amityville Horror
Batman Begins
Bewitched
Brokeback Mountain
Broken Flowers
Capote
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Chicken Little
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Cinderella Man
The Constant Gardener
Corpse Bride
Crash
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo
Doom
The Dukes of Hazzard
Elizabethtown
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Family Guy Presents: Stewie Griffin - The Untold Story
Fantastic Four
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Good Night and Good Luck
The Great Raid
Grizzly Man
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Herbie: Fully Loaded
Hitch
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
House of Wax
Hustle & Flow
The Island
Junebug
Just Like Heaven
King Kong
Kingdom of Heaven
Kung Fu Hustle
Land of the Dead
The Legend of Zorro
The Longest Yard
Lord of War
Madagascar
March of the Penguins
Match Point
Memoirs of a Geisha
Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous
Mirrormask
Monster-in-Law
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
Mrs. Henderson Presents
Munich
North Country
Oldboy
The Pacifier
Pride & Prejudice
The Producers
Red Eye
Rent
The Ring Two
Robots
Saw II
Serenity
Sin City
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
The Skeleton Key
Sky High
Son of the Mask
The Squid and the Whale
Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith
Stealth
Syriana
Transamerica
Transporter 2
The Upside of Anger
Unleashed
Valiant
Walk the Line
Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit
War of the Worlds
The Weather Man
Wedding Crashers

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Thanks, MCF, this is very helpful. I've already decided that there's no way I can choose a movie for every category, because I just didn't see enough last year. But, that's just the breaks when you don't watch movies for a living.

2/05/2006 5:25 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

You don't have to pick one for every category. I just listed as many categories as I could think of. If there are categories no one nominates a movie for, or only one movie is nominated, I'll drop it from the final Myclofigs. To quote the original post:

...let me know which you'd like to see included in any or all of the categories below.

If no one nominates anything, then I won't be able to do this at all. :(

2/05/2006 10:04 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

I've only seen 5 of those you have listed. I think Rubi maybe has seen 6 or 7 of them.

Hey - my word verification is djcrajz. That should totally be a stage name: DJ Crajz! (Pronounced Crash).

2/05/2006 10:12 AM  
Blogger Xtine said...

wow, I forgot about most of those films!

2/05/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

I loved Charlie & the Choc Factory. Johnny Depp may be an odd egg in real life, but that guy can sure act. So, I'd nominate him as Best Actor.

Pride & Prejudice is such a good movie. It is funny and romantic. Donald Sutherland does such a good job in his supporting role. So, he gets my nod for supporting actor. I'm a sucker for good dialogue and subtle humor & nuances. This movie has such a smart script.

I'd nominate Harry Potter for Best Costumes/Makeup & Special Effects. They had some really neat stuff in that flick.

I loved Narnia, but I can't think of anything for it to be nominated for except Best Movie that Brought the Mental Image of a Place I've Pictured in My Mind's Eye Since I Was in the Fourth Grade.

Thanks for stopping by and wishing me well. I'm doing much better now. The first three days were not pleasant, but each day will be better from here on out.

2/06/2006 1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home