9.02.2005

MCF's Top 100 Tunes

Inspired by the recent music meme, I've decided to compile a list of my 100 favorite songs. While psychotic enough to do this and link to lyrics, I will not even attempt to put them in any particular order. I'm just going to reach into my musical memory and see what I can pull out. These are songs over the years that have triggered strong emotional responses. Some have inspired me; others have motivated me. Some have made me jubilant; others made me sad. Some will forever be associated with pivotal moments in movies and television shows; others are songs I'd love to hear at my wedding, should I ever find a bride. Music defines us as much as anything else we enjoy, so consider this a lyrical portrait of a man most of you only know as MCF:

1. ”Smells Like Teen Spirit”, Nirvana

2. ”You Give Love a Bad Name”, Bon Jovi

3. ”Eleanor Rigby”, The Beatles

4. ”Fight for your Right”, Beastie Boys

5. ”State of Love & Trust”, Pearl Jam

6. ”Summer of ‘69”, Bryan Adams

7. ”Welcome Home(Sanitarium)”, Metallica

8. ”Symphony of Destruction”, Megadeth

9. ”You Shook Me All Night Long”, AC DC

10. ”Because the Night”, 10,000 Maniacs

11. ”Jump Around”, House of Pain

12. ”Fell on Black Days”, Soundgarden

13. ”18 & Life”, Skid Row

14. ”Somebody to Shove”, Soul Asylum

15. ”Would?”, Alice in Chains

16. ”Something I Can Never Have”, Nine Inch Nails

17. ”More Than a Feeling”, Boston

18. ”Don't Stop Believin'”, Journey

19. ”Falling in Love with You”, UB40

20. ”Love & Affection”, Nelson

21. ”Glycerine”, Bush

22. ”Bullet with Butterfly Wings”, Smashing Pumpkins

23. ”Nearly Lost You”, Screaming Trees

24. ”Hunger Strike”, Temple of the Dog

25. ”You Could Be Mine”, Guns ‘n Roses

26. ”Comfortably Numb”, Pink Floyd

27. ”Stairway to Heaven”, Led Zeppelin

28. ”Bohemian Rhapsody”, Queen

29. ”Hey Jealousy”, Gin Blossoms

30. ”Piano Man”, Billy Joel

31. ”Surrender”, Cheap Trick

32. ”Insane in the Brain”, Cypress Hill

33. ”Friday I'm in Love”, The Cure

34. ”Name”, Goo Goo Dolls

35. ”Basket Case”, Green Day

36. ”Come Out and Play”, Offspring

37. ”Buddy Holly”, Weezer

38. ”Sex Type Thing”, Stone Temple Pilots

39. ”Hell Song”, Sum 41

40. ”Save Tonight”, Eagle Eye Cherry

41. ”Don’t Cry”, Guns ‘n Roses

42. ”Free Fallin'”, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

43. ”Make Me Lose Control”, Eric Carmen

44. ”A Little Respect”, Erasure

45. ”Sweet Dreams”, Eurythmics

46. ”Under the Bridge”, Red Hot Chili Peppers

47. ”What's the Frequency, Kenneth?” R.E.M.

48. ”Ice, Ice Baby”, Vanilla Ice

49. ”The Dolphin's Cry”, Live

50. ”Stan”, Eminem

51. ”Estranged”, Guns ‘n Roses

52. ”My Immortal,” Evanescence

53. ”Invisible Touch”, Genesis

54. ”Wynona's Big Brown Beaver”, Primus

55. ”Every Rose Has It's Thorn”, Poison

56. ”Everybody Have Fun Tonight”, Wang Chung

57. ”Only the Good Die Young”, Billy Joel

58. ”The Kids Aren't All Right”, Offspring

59. ”She Hates Me”, Puddle of Mudd

60. ”Signs”, Tesla

61. ”Every Little Thing She Does is Magic”, The Police

62. ”Take Me Home Tonight”, Eddie Money

63. ”The Touch”, Stan Bush

64. ”Sister Christian”, Night Ranger

65. ”Sliver”, Nirvana

66. ”Keep on Rockin' in the Free World”, Pearl Jam

67. ”That's All”, Genesis

68. ”Superman”, R.E.M.

69. ”Self Esteem”, Offspring

70. ”With or Without You”, U2

71. ”Hard to Handle”, Black Crowes

72. ”Loser”, Beck

73. ”Song 2”, Blur

74. ”Creep”, Radiohead

75. ”It's All Been Done”, Barenaked Ladies

76. ”Mother”, Danzig

77. ”Crash Into Me”, Dave Matthews Band

78. ”Break On Through”, The Doors

79. ”Hey Jude”, The Beatles

80. ”Live and Let Die”, Paul McCartney

81. ”Wherever I May Roam”, Metallica

82. ”Nothing Else Matters”, Metallica

83. ”The Unforgiven”, Metallica

84. ”Smooth Criminal”, Michael Jackson

85. ”Angel”, Sarah McLachlan

86. ”Livin’ on a Prayer”, Bon Jovi

87. ”Strangers in the Night”, Frank Sinatra

88. ”Run-around”, Blues Traveler

89. ”Wishlist”, Pearl Jam

90. ”Porch”, Pearl Jam

91. ”Once”, Pearl Jam

92. ”Nothingman”, Pearl Jam

93. ”Wanted Dead or Alive”, Bon Jovi

94. ”Better Man”, Pearl Jam

95. ”Another Brick in the Wall Part II”, Pink Floyd

96. ”Young Lust”, Pink Floyd

97. ”Cecilia”, Simon and Garfunkel

98. ”Yesterday”, The Beatles

99. ”It's Been Awhile”, Staind

100. ”Daydream Believer”, The Monkees

6 Comments:

Blogger kevbayer said...

Wow. Quite the list. I don't think I'd be motivated enough to make a similar list, especially linked to the lyrics (again: wow!).
And frankly... my list would be uh, extra-geeky.

9/03/2005 3:03 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I'll be out the door before you wake,
It's nothing new to you,
'Cause I thiiiink weeee've seeeeen that movie tooooo...


You've got me digging around trying to find UYI2 now. What a great song.

9/03/2005 9:14 PM  
Blogger SPM said...

No KISS? I cry in your direction...

9/03/2005 9:51 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

If it was a top 200, I'm sure "Rock and Roll All Night" would make the list.

UYI2 is probably their best album--and that song reminds me of T2. If I didn't try to have the list reflect more variety, I think there would have been a LOT more GnR, Pearl Jam, Metallica, and Bon Jovi songs on there. 100 just wasn't enough, but some people think I have too much free time as it is. =)

Kev: Geekier than "The Touch"? Would you list the whole soundtrack as I was tempted to? I came close to putting worse on the list("Cherry Pie" by Warrant, for example....)

9/03/2005 10:34 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Geekier than "The Touch"?

That's the same song that Dirk sings when he tries to start a rock career in Boogie Nights, right?

9/04/2005 12:31 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Exactly. At the time, my girlfriend didn't know why I was the only one in the theater fighting to suppress laughter when I recognized the tune. It's originally from Transformers The Movie. I probably shouldn't have admitted that....

9/04/2005 12:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home