4.03.2008

Bracket Blogs

It's been a while since I was active in the college basketball scene, well over a decade, and since I don't follow sports regularly ”March Madness” can slip right by me.

Of course, there have been plenty of reminders of brackets lately. KRock ran a “Bracket Brawl” in which listeners could vote on favorite bands. They started with 64, which came down to 16, then 8, then 4, then finally two of my favorites, Metallica and Pearl Jam. Metallica won by a narrow margin, 1.8%, and overall I was happy with the results.

How I Met Your Mother put their spin on the bracket system this week as well, as the gang tries to narrow down which of the many girls Barney loved and left is now going around Manhattan warning others of his lecherous ways. They manage to narrow the list down to four, and while they never quite find the mystery girl, at least not in this episode, there is a pretty awesome payoff at the end with an inevitable reference. Also, in lying to one of the girls and telling her he was Ted, Barney's actions led her to create a website bashing “Ted”. That show is great with viral marketing.

I don't know if this is going to work, but I figured if my radio and television were doing it, I had to try. In a grueling process involving darts and highly trained monkeys, I managed to go through my blogroll and whittle down a list of 16 contenders. I considered 32, but the monkeys pointed out that many of the ones I chose, while favorites, hadn't updated in months if not longer. Through a highly scientific process too complex to explain, we then figured out appropriate pairs for the first round:


(Click the Picture Above for a Larger Set of brackets)

1) Lorna vs. Cube

2) CoffeeSister vs. Willow Crossing

3) The Art of Getting By vs. The Unseen Blogger

4) Rey's A Point vs. Spiritual Tramp

5) A Golden World vs. The Southern Conservative

6) Rocketship of the Mind vs. Lyndonology

7) The Chronicles of Rhodester vs. The Bayer Family Blog

8) B13Fotographica vs. SwanShadow

Leave a comment saying who you're voting for in each of the 8 match-ups. In one week, I'll update the chart accordingly and you'll have 4 showdowns to decide on. This will continue each week until only one blog remains to claim bragging rights, honor, and perhaps a prize.

You can vote for yourself and you can encourage your readers to stop by and vote for you as well. If you were left off the list and feel you should have been included, or if you think someone else in my blogroll should be on there, you can substitute a vote in any of the 8 spots. There's no guarantee others will add to your vote, but the option is there.

Only you can decide who goes on to the next round. Voting begins....NOW!

Labels:

20 Comments:

Blogger Lyndon said...

Well I took the time to visit all the sites mentioned and here's my choices.

Lorna in Wonderland
Drink Deeply
The Unseen Blogger
Spiritual Tramp
The Southern Conservative
Rocketship of the Mind
The Bayer Family Blog
B13Fotographica

For anyone that I didn't vote for, don't take it personally. Heck given the brackets, I didn't even vote for my own blog. And I could used the vote, given my low readership ;-)

Good Luck to those of you who make it to the next round!!

4/03/2008 12:33 AM  
Blogger b13 said...

This is hard :( I like so many of these blogs for different reasons and hate pitting them against one another.

Well, here goes... something.
Cube47
Willow Crossing
The Unseen Blogger
Rey's A Point
The Southern Conservative
Rocketship of the Mind
The Chronicles of Rhodester
b13fotographica :( I can't believe I am voting for myself... I've reached a new low :(

4/03/2008 1:08 AM  
Blogger Rey Reynoso said...

1) Lorna for her unbeatable pink

2) Willow Crossing because of a hot yahoo avatar...hey now

3) How can you beat an enemy you can't see? thats right:you can't. The Unseen Blogger wins.

4) Rey's A Point is a chump. Content is king and the Spiritual Tramp rules hands down.

5) The Southern Conservative because the South has been storing up WMD's after the big loss with the North.

6) Too close to call. maybe rocket

7) Strength in numbers...win to The Bayer Family Blog

8) A Pic has 1000 Words, but 1000 words on their own is the max for a blog post. B13 manages to have blog posts with more than one pic. B13Fotographica win.

4/03/2008 8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lyndon definitely makes a good point that I left unsaid; if you don't visit these sites regularly already(though that unpossible! :) ), check them out to help make your decision.

And I like that Rey explained his picks. Not required, but a fun read. :)

4/03/2008 9:59 AM  
Blogger Rey Reynoso said...

Continuing in the Tradition of Brackets, the Final Four will be Lorna, B13 and SoCon, leaving a final matchup between Lorna and B13 with the win to Lorna.

Completely unrelated but something just tickled me on my foot, I looked down and saw maybe a 2 inch multilegged monster.

I'm so freaking out.

4/03/2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Hmmm.
I'll pick:
1) Cube

2) Willow Crossing

3) The Unseen Blogger

4) Rey's A Point

5) The Southern Conservative

6) Lyndonology

7) The Bayer Family Blog

8) SwanShadow

And to add a random thought: my Word Verification word for this comment is: fushaky
How cool is that?!
"How you feelin' man?"
"fushaky!"

4/03/2008 10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a little fushaky myself before I get my daily dose of walking, fresh air, and lunch.

Rey's predictions are interesting. I agree that those three are all good bets for the final four, though it's too soon to know for sure.

The fourth could be anyone though; that's a tougher bracket to predict. At her peak, Janet probably would have gotten more votes than Hidden, but she's had to cut back on posting lately. Rey and Scott will be a closer matchup, and if it comes down to Scott vs. Hidden, that will be even tougher. I'm thinking Cap'n Eucalyptus will make it to the final four over Unseen, but I can't say for sure. There's still a week left and this first round could turn for anyone. It's fun to try to predict, though. :)

4/03/2008 10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) Lorna, cause she's got GRIT! In spite of the "girl" factor her blog brings the funny.

2)Coffeesister, totally. Though truthfully that's a close call.

3)Gonna have to go with Unseen. It scares me because I may have to go toe to toe with him, but them's the breaks.

4) ST, totally. I hate voting for myself, but if I don't vote for me I may get voted off the island too quick. Rey's blog rawks, especially the latest bit of fiction he put up, but if content is indeed king then I'm a multi-blog writing 300 lbs gorilla.

5)Southcon. Again I'd hate going up against this Heavy Metal monster of conservative thought, but I read his blog as often as he posts, more often in fact.

6)Lyndonology. He's a fellow coffee addict.

7)Rhodester, cause he totally hooked me on twitter and I love his stories about work.

8) Oooooh this one went down to the WIRE. Gotta go with b13 though cause his dedication to blogging is awe inspiring.

(And hopefully no one's feelings are hurt. Mine won't be when Rey kicks my patootie)

4/03/2008 11:55 AM  
Blogger SwanShadow said...

I'm honored and delighted to be included in such august company. You humble me, MCF.

In that spirit, I'm abstaining from placing a vote for my own blog. I have, however, discovered at least a few blogs that deserve to be added to my own blogroll -- and will be soon.

Good luck to everyone in the Sweet 16!

4/03/2008 1:12 PM  
Blogger Sank said...

Swan Shadow... VOTE FOR SWAN.

4/03/2008 2:07 PM  
Blogger Rey Reynoso said...

woops I had forgot to add Unseen to my final 4 choices.

4/03/2008 2:33 PM  
Blogger DamonO said...

5) A Golden World

8) SwanShadow

4/03/2008 3:11 PM  
Blogger SPM said...

This is a great idea. I'll start looking through the websites and make my choices.

To everyone who voted for me... THANKS!

4/03/2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger SPM said...

Lorna - Unique and personal posting.
Willow Crossing - Amazingly, I don't agree with much of what she has to say.
The Art of Getting By - Didn't care for Unseen's slant
Spiritual Tramp - Interesting posts
A Golden World - Very well done.
Rocketship of the Mind - I like Lyndon, but not up against myself.. is that bad?
The Chronicles of Rhodester - Vast array of widgets.
SwanShadow - Sorry b13, I'm digging Uncle Swan's stuff.

4/03/2008 11:18 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

OK.
1.Lorna's blogfest.
2. Coffee sista
3. Unseen Rantings
4. Spirit Tramp
5. Southern Comfort
6. Lyndon
7. Chronicles of
8. B13 photo guy

4/04/2008 4:23 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

After taking time to visit:
Lorna
Willow Crossings
The Art of Getting By
Spiritual Tramp
A Golden World
Rocketship of the Mind
The Bayer Family Blog
b13fotographica - ABSOLUTELY!

4/04/2008 9:03 PM  
Blogger Rhodester said...

OMIGOD, it's no fair! I haven't been able to post much due to 16 hour work days, and haven't seen this post until now for the same reason! The madness has ended, and I'm just now catching up.

THANKS to all who gave me a vote - I don't even know who this Bayer family is, but I'll check it out.

MCF, I luv ya, but I'm going to abstain from voting.. I don't care for competition among blogs, mainly for a previously given reason.. they have different styles and objectives. I'm just not good at saying I like one over another. But I admit it's a fascinating post/contest. Thanks for including me :-)

4/04/2008 9:56 PM  
Blogger Fenway said...

B13—his WIIF contest definitely gets him the win. Added bonus: doggie pics and beachie scenes.

Lorna
Willow Crossings
The Art of Getting By
Spiritual Tramp
A Golden World
Rocketship of the Mind
The Bayer Family Blog
B13—his WIIF contest definitely gets him the win. Added bonus: doggie pics and beachie scenes.

4/05/2008 1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Haven't been reading loads of blogs lately (maybe I should... and I will get to all on the list at some point this week).

Still, aside from two, I'll use the coin method... I always sucked at the brackets pools anyway. Though hockey pools here are more about players, less about teams.

Still, here I go:

Lorna (1 pick cuz she's a Canuck... though the Sens won't last in the playoffs this year).
CoffeeSister
The Art of Getting By
Spiritual Tramp
A Golden World (I have to pick myself)
Rocketship of the Mind
The Bayer Family Blog
B13Fotographica

Though for hockey... since the 'Nucks are golfing, GO HABS GO (can you tell I'm originally from Quebec)?

4/07/2008 1:34 AM  
Blogger MCF said...

Votes are officially closed for this week. I will now tally the results and create a new graphic.

4/09/2008 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home