10.22.2009

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XXXI

It's time for yet another installment of my semi-regular Things I've Learned Thursday feature. Here's what I know so far:

* I'm sorry to report that Falco is dead. You may remember him from such “hits” as Rock Me Amadeus. And apparently, he's been gone since colliding with a bus in February of 1998. In my defense, I was probably too distraught over my girlfriend breaking up with me that month. Or maybe I just forgot about his demise until now. Oddly enough, I stumbled on this bit of information while on a message board about Heather O'Rourke, the young star of Poltergeist who apparently died of cardiac arrest in 1988. I live in a cave. The actress who played her sister also died young, strangled by a chef in 1982. Have any of you ever had these “Whatever happened to...?” moments where you look someone up only to discover the sad reason why they haven't been seen in a while? In happier news, I'm glad to report that Abe Vigoda is still with us.

* If you're going to cook in your kitchen naked for some reason, make sure the curtains are drawn, because if people cut across your property and happen to see inside, you may risk an indecent exposure charge. It seems like common sense, but I think we all get too comfortable in our own homes sometimes. I've never gotten that comfortable because I live with my folks and have the body of a hairy pregnant woman, but there are definitely times in the Summer when I walk around in briefs. Now if that's not the greatest argument to finally get air conditioning, I don't know what is...

* Earlier this year, the town in which I work closed down the sidewalk along the beach for repairs, eliminating one of my nicer lunchtime walking spots and making it more difficult to get to my favorite deli, since the other side of the street has more side roads and parking lot openings. I'm not sure when they finally opened it, but Wednesday morning was the first time I saw people walking there, and sure enough I found myself there a few hours later, enjoying unseasonably warm temperatures that had me shedding the Winter jacket I'd just reluctantly started wearing. There's a ton of park benches facing the water, rows of lamps which will make it a great place to walk at night, and a new pier jutting out into the water for even better views. And the path is unnecessarily winding, a snake shape more interesting than the old rigid sidewalk. I didn't have my camera with me, and I apparently filled up all the free space on my camera phone(that went fast), but I'm sure a shoot is in order within the next few weeks.

* A flu shot triggered a rare neurological disorder in one 25-year-old girl, a cautionary tale for anyone considering it. There are plenty of possible side effects, first and foremost getting the flu itself, since you're being injected with a trace amount of the particular strain doctors think will be prevalent in a given season. Viruses always adapt, so it's always a gamble. We definitely need a better solution, though I'm not remotely qualified to have an inkling of what that might be. My best guess would be a vaccine that works the way a virus does and adapts to counter whatever strain it faces. That's probably science fiction...for now. (Hat Tip to Rey and B13 for the video)

* Speaking of the flu, apparently it is possible to outrun it. Feeling slightly better on Tuesday as my head cold moved into my lungs, I ran over five miles in the gym. The more I ran, the better I felt. Sure, I was achy and wheezy by the time I got home, but Wednesday night was much better and I ran over six miles. Honestly though, it probably was a bad idea and I shouldn't have let my self-consciousness over regaining 5 pounds since I got sick push me to get back on the treadmill too soon. Kids, don't try this at home.

* Eddie Murphy was originally considered for the role of Winston Zeddemore in the original Ghostbusters. Had he taken the part, I think the group dynamic would have been very different, and some of Bill Murray's jokes might have been coming out of Murphy's mouth. I guess that's why his character always seemed tacked on, showing up halfway through the movie and being there mostly as a device for the other characters to explain things to, and thus the audience. I'm glad they went with Ernie Hudson though, and I liked whatever contributions he was able to make. Hopefully the rumors about everyone returning for Ghostbusters III becomes a reality. Hudson, Aykroyd and Ramis have all claimed to be on board, while Murray has said he'd want to see a script first. They need a good one, something to erase the bad taste of Ghostbusters II. And if not, we'll always have the first movie and The Real Ghost Busters, one of my all-time favorite animated series.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If you get a chance to play the Ghostbusters video game, they had gotten the cast back together to do the voices and jokes and what not. It's excellent

10/22/2009 9:47 AM  
Anonymous MCF said...

Yeah, I saw the demo at this year's ComicCon back in Feb. Looked hot.

I actually watched the 1st movie again last night too, in fit of nostalgia/bad TV night/didn't get a Netflix, which is what led me to read up on stuff like Murphy's almost-involvement and the potential third film.

10/22/2009 1:56 PM  
Blogger b13 said...

Rey beat me to it... the demo is freakin cool. I may have to pick this one up.

10/22/2009 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home