8.06.2009

T.I.L.T. Things I've Learned Thursday XXX

Things I've Learned Thursday turns 30, as did I...once. We can't turn back time, sadly, nor can we slow down aging. At least I can space out features like this for months at a time. That way, it's still one of the few things in life I'm not getting too old for:

* Some people are way too quick to confuse time put in with experience. Too often I hear things like “I've been here XX years and we don't do that.” I definitely appreciate the people who ask for input from newer employees and recognize the value of a fresh perspective. You can't be innovative inside a box.

* Experience seems irrelevant when it comes to road workers, however. Young or old, they never fail to wave cars through red lights at intersections without putting a hand up to at least give me a courtesy signal to stop. It's just like this big generous, “Come on! Come on through! There's nobody you'll hit if you do. Well, nobody important...” Morons.

* Judo is not limited to martial arts. Sometimes it can work in meetings and arguments to allow the other person to burn out on the momentum of his or her own words and reach the conclusion that you're actually right.

* Contemporary Korean cinema is very, very good and I must check out more of it.

* A pig may well be the single greatest magical source of multiple meats. This occurred to me for the umpteenth time while enjoying a pepperoni and sausage slice of pizza. Two distinct flavors and textures; one animal.

* On a related note, now that I'm done training for my race I've started eating ice cream and cookies on a more regular basis. I still run for an hour every night after work, but I've been having trouble getting much further than 5 miles, when a week ago I could nearly reach 6 in that time. Diet, apparently, is a factor. I miss the days when I could truly eat anything I wanted and burn it off playing with my friends. Stupid slowing metabolism...

* It is completely impossible to remain motionless when ”Hey Ya” is playing. This is great in a bar, club, or while working out in the gym. It's slightly less great if it comes on after one's workout and you're fighting the natural impulse to dance while in the shower. I probably looked like the worst iPod commercial ever. Of course, if anyone is watching my silhouette through the shower curtain in the locker room, I probably have bigger problems.

* Don't share too much with the world unless it's really funny, really shocking, or both.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Of course, if anyone is watching my silhouette through the shower curtain in the locker room, I probably have bigger problems."

Look on the bright side, if after doing that they go out and actually buy an iPod, you could be the next big thing from Apple. T-shirts could be made of you, and if you give it 20 years your naked, dancing showering form might even be cool, postmodern and ironic. See, every cloud has a silver lining!

8/06/2009 8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"surprisingly cool, postmodern and ironic" should be a summarizing tagline for the Nexus.

8/06/2009 2:51 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

Don't think I didn't notice that "surprisingly" you added, old friend...
:)

8/06/2009 8:05 PM  
Blogger Jerry Novick said...

"It is completely impossible to remain motionless when ”Hey Ya” is playing. This is great in a bar, club, or while working out in the gym. It's slightly less great if it comes on after one's workout and you're fighting the natural impulse to dance while in the shower. I probably looked like the worst iPod commercial ever. Of course, if anyone is watching my silhouette through the shower curtain in the locker room, I probably have bigger problems."

This is one of the funniest, and most disturbing, things I have ever read... And I am thankful that your silhouette has not become the next YouTube sensation.

8/08/2009 2:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home