10.17.2008

Don't Want to See That

A school bus came to a sudden stop, its driver braking as the truck in front of them stopped to turn in to a gas station. Behind this mess I rolled in my little black car, with no option but to veer left and hope in the split second I had to check my mirror that no one was alongside me. I executed the move with an uncharacteristic lack of flaw, and thus should not have been surprised when I checked my mirror a minute later and saw the flashing lights of a police car.

He didn't have his sirens on, and as I pulled off to the shoulder I prayed that he merely wished to pass me. Miraculously, he did! However, he didn't pass anyone else in front of us, and turned his lights off. I pulled back on to the road and kept a cautious distance several car lengths behind him, perhaps suspiciously far back. Now it was his turn to pull off to the side, and as I passed him, I braced myself for the wail of sirens. I watched him get smaller and smaller in my rearview mirror, until he suddenly moved forward, and made a left turn into the parking lot of a Starbucks. Later on when I was closer to my job, I would see another police car blast lights and sirens as it pulled over another poor soul. I could empathize; no one wants to see that in the rearview mirror.

* * * * *


Dudes at my gym are way too comfortable with their bodies. Too often I walk in to the locker room and guys are just standing around naked, forcing me to stare straight ahead and allow my vision to blur. Mind you, perhaps my opposite extreme of reaching for a pair of underwear before I set foot out of the shower stall isn't much better, but then again it is. With my luck, I imagine if I ever inadvertently set foot in the women's locker room I'd find them all wearing 1920s caps and full body bathing suits.

Oddly enough, another locker room sight that's been offending me lately is the sight of open lockers. I see rows and rows of open doors and find myself compelled to close them. Sometimes when I open one to put my stuff in, I find that some idiot has put all his stuff in a locker without a lock. These are probably the same people who park in front of the handicapped walkway or across yellow lines, and can't be bothered to wrap a towel around their waist after a shower.

* * * * *


I really don't want to see this guy win the presidential election, but I'm pretty sure he will. People are turned off by the Republican party after Bush, and it's not like the old man is a super-compelling candidate. It's just that his beliefs are more in line with my own, and a war hero would come in handy considering we're already at war and facing potential conflicts and threats with several other nations. I notice a lot of the Obama TV spots I've been seeing on television lately include clips of him talking about when he takes office. That much confidence can be annoying, moreso when it might be justified. We're probably going to lose this one, and I think it's going to take another Reagan for us to get it back.

* * * * *


Police lights in the rearview mirror. Ugly naked guys(or any naked guys) hanging out in the locker room. Chaotic open doors. A democrat in the oval office. That's enough, I think. Another thing I don't want to see is 7:15 AM, but I'll see it whether I go to sleep now or later, and the later I wait the harder it will be to move in the morning.

1 Comments:

Blogger SwanShadow said...

I think it's going to take another Reagan for us to get it back.

You say that as though it would be a good thing. ;)

10/18/2008 2:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home