11.02.2007

Origins and Shelves

It was with mixed emotions that I read the news about Heroes: Origins being shelved. The six episode spin-off of Heroes would have filled the mid-season hiatus, introduce new characters, and boast directors like Kevin Smith and Eli Roth. I was especially interested to see what Smith would bring to the table, and in general anticipated miniature movies, each week offering a different director's interpretation of events. On the other hand, the show has already brought in new characters, and some critics feel old ones are already getting lost in the shuffle. There are at least three instances of new characters possessing the same abilities as series regulars, but I'm hoping that's part of a larger plan. One such instance is due to a familial connection, a father revealed to have a stronger version of his son's powers. I wonder if there might be similar explanations for the other duplications.

The facts are these: Years ago, this problem of filling gaps and keeping viewer's attention didn't seem to be such a problem. There was a time when a regular season of a show could run closer to 30 episodes a year instead of the now standard 22. For whatever reason, many networks seem resistant to airing reruns. It's a great way to catch up, but I imagine business reasons ranging from syndication to DVD rights might explain the lack of reruns. I constantly read criticisms of Heroes and other shows I enjoy, saying things don't move quickly enough or you have to pay more attention. Has the attention span of this country dwindled in the age of the internet and instant entertainment? People patiently followed The X-Files to the end, where questions were answered while others were raised and left to mystery. Did anyone have a problem following the night time soap operas of yesteryear, keeping track of characters and events in Dallas or Falcon Crest? Why should it be any different to remember 24 or Lost plot points should there be a gap in episodes?

If anything, the internet makes the experience of television more immersive and addictive. Message boards and places like Television Without Pity allow us to view other people's opinions and observations. Returning late from a commercial break is no problem when you can find a synopses. Most networks post actual episodes online, so there are legal means of staying in the loop. Why then are people so critical? Why are ratings falling?

It's no secret that the Nielsen system is outdated. It's limited to the homes it's installed in. The system doesn't take into account people who watch shows online, so web site hits should be factored in. In the digital age, I don't think shows need to vie for the same timeslot. In a two hour span on a Thursday night, I have four hours of shows I watch. I just tape one channel while I watch the other. Maybe they can't track a dinosaur like myself, still using a VCR, but what about the majority of people living in the present day and using TiVo? Nielsen ratings are rendered useless, yet decisions are still based on them.

Now, a writer's strike is the primary reason why the Heroes spinoff is on hold. But I question the need for a “spinoff” of a new show as filler in the first place. There are other options. I don't know if I'd like to see a delayed start to the season like 24 and Lost employ. It is nice when those shows run uninterupted, but I think it hurts them not to show any episodes in the meantime. Show repeats. Or do more specials like Lost does, clip shows that incorporate new interpretations for the viewers. Take the sort of things that go on DVDs as special features, and air them as specials. Perhaps the craziest idea of all is to simply order more episodes of the main series. It worked in the ‘80s, but would it work now?

Personally, I'm still enjoying Heroes. I wasn't interested in all of the new characters at first, and thought some of the bigger characters from last season were given less interesting stories. In the grand scheme of things, it's an ensemble show. When some figures move forward on the shelve, others rotate to the back. Eventually, everyone gets his or her turn in the spotlight. Most of all, there's something to be said for dramatic pacing, plot seeding, and slow reveals. Our society has to be more sophisticated, and appreciate entertainment that doesn't blow stuff up on a weekly basis. Sometimes it's just better to build slowly and savor things, so when there is an explosion of action and revelations, it's far more special.

And maybe I watch too much television, and a night off now and then wouldn't be such a bad thing, except perhaps for the advertisers.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know maybe it's just me, so I decided to get a second opinion. But this season of Heroes has just been really dull so far.

There have been a few good moments (Mostly Noah and the Haitian) But some of the stories have seemed so predictable. Eg. Hiro and Kensei

Well the next 5 weeks are supposed to be interesting. Let's hope it lives up to the hype!

11/02/2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger MCF said...

SPOILER COMMENTS BELOW:


I hated the Mexican wonder twins until Sylar entered the picture; now I'm wondering where they're going with that.

I'm very curious to see where they go with Nathan's burned alternate appearance, and how he survived Peter's explosion.

The Hiro story is starting to drag, but I'm hoping it ties in to the events of the present. Kensei can't die, so one wonders if we'll see him again. My original theory was that DL was still alive and being controlled by the Nightmare Man, and he was the assassin that took down Kaito. But an immortal with powers like Claire could also survive a fall like that. And I'm wondering/hoping if Kensei has ties to the Petrelli bloodline, so it's not just a coincidence that he and Claire share abilities. Powers seem hereditary as with the Parkmans, and that makes me question West's lineage.

Probably the best moment this season, aside from Noah interrogating Vladimir, was the twist with Matt's father, and the subsequent Matt/Nathan dream tussle. I've seen that device in tons of comics, though it's been bugging me that I can't recall a specific instance of a hero fighting a hero where I started realizing the illusion each was fighting was the other(I'm thinking like Spider-man fighting a knight and Iron Man fighting a giant spider, and then the reveal that it's an illusion and they're fighting each other...or maybe it was in FF or Classic X-Men--I know I've seen that exact scenario before, and likely more than once).

Season 1 was really slow in the beginning too, and the only thing that held me were the insane cliffhangers. I'd be like "yeah this is kind of okay," and then they'd always hit me with something in the last five minutes like Claire waking up in the middle of an autopsy, or badass future Hiro's first appearance. Based on precedent, I'm sticking around to see where they're going with this.

Honestly, if I've last through 7 seasons of Smallville, a show that begs to be a drinking game, I can stick with this far superior show.

11/03/2007 3:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home