9.24.2007

Phantasmic Links 9.24.07

As I started to chronicle previously, my dad got me up early on Saturday morning for a very important task. Our band was Pennsylvania-bound once more on Sunday, and our band leader's son, who can't drive any more than his father can, had rented a minivan. At least that's what he told us. Since he called a place in our town, all we had to do was show up and pay a $300 deposit, which we'd get back. I didn't like it any more than my parents did, but didn't see any other options. Of course when we got there, we found out that the person driving would be responsible for all payments and had to be present with a credit card and a driver's license. I signed and initialed a contract in several places, was charged a $350 deposit, and soon a vehicle and the lives of 6 other passengers were in my hands.

Our leader was waiting for us in Brooklyn, ready to reimburse me the $160 his son told him it would be. The fee was $80 a day, but since the place was closed on Sunday we had to pay for an extra day of this thing sitting in our driveway. I also had to fill it up with gas, and I got all the optional insurance they offered because I damn sure wasn't going to have my insurance be responsible. Then there was tax to consider. His son has no concept of such things, so the father was unprepared when I presented him with a bill for around $275. Other than that, it was smooth sailing and except for almost getting creamed by a bus in Manhattan, we made it there without a scratch. It was a perfect day that included a classic Ferrari show on the same grounds as the feast, and I really wished I'd brought my camera. The people loved us, singing and dancing along with every tune. Red wine is awesome like that.

The ride home was smooth, and we made incredible time until we reached the Holland Tunnel. There, seven lanes run into toll booths then merge into two before going underground. We sat in New Jersey for 45 minutes, occasionally spotting cute girls in surrounding vehicles. “Not for anyt'ing guys,” said our band leader's son of a nearby driver's pretty girlfriend, “If I was in a car wit' huhr, I wouldn't be able to drive.”

“You wouldn't be able to drive if you were in a car by yourself,” I quipped, bringing laughs from the rest of the band and silence from him. With the amount of money they ended up spending on the rental, money I will get from them on our next gig, they have to see how advantageous it would be to know how to drive.

I left my house before the sun came up, and returned after it set, and aside from aggravation with the whole van situation, it was a gorgeous day with great food, pretty girls, hot cars, and not a cloud in sight. After all that time out in the world on a road trip, I think I still remember how to use a computer though, so here are this week's PHANTASMIC LINKS:

Toyman Tower Defense looks like a dozen games you've played online before, but with a movable hero and some other cool features, it stands out among its kind.

A lot of books are available online for free. And legally.
Hat Tip: Darrell

There's no similarity between Harry Potter and Star Wars®...is there?
HT: J-No.

Apparently, December 8th is ”Pretend to be a Time Traveler Day”, and it was awesome. I mean it will be awesome. I'll be back.

Check out 10 of the most amazing temples in the world. I wouldn't want to walk out the wrong door on some of those...

The world almost ends, one man's decision brings us back from the brink, and we find out much later.

Can you guess video game classics from audio alone? I got 11 out of 18.

D'oh! Simpsons scenes are paired with the original film references they're spoofing.
HT: Sean.

Can you stay on the space highway in Pathfinder? On my first try I scored 90,768, reached level 20, and got the #1 spot on the high score list. Hint: Wings are fabulous.
HT: B13.


Have a link to a game, movie, article, or anything else you think might be “phantasmic”? E-mail me and it just might appear in an upcoming PHANTASMIC LINKS!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home