8.23.2007

Angry Again

Janet is looking for “angry” music this week. Maybe wedding planning is proving frustrating, but more likely it's just a random topic from her endless vault. Personally, I'm not finding a whole lot to be angry about this week, and though a combination of dropping temperatures and a lack of exercise has made me vulnerable to germs and left me with a pesky sore throat, I still feel like whistling the Andy Griffith Show theme wherever I go. I'm enjoying this mood as long as it lasts.

Still, it is a good topic. Just last Friday, when my friend Sparkplug asked his brother the musical value of the Slipknot song he'd selected in the jukebox, I pointed out that sometimes music isn't about technical skill or lyrics. Art expresses emotion, and occasionally rage is called for, accomplished with screaming and atonal guitar chords. My first selection below isn't as angry as I remembered, but I felt it appropriate to include given the title. The others definitely fit the bill, and as Darrell pointed out, music can be therapeutic in releasing anger. Therefore, the following singers are probably a lot more well-adjusted than they appear, and not “all on drugs”* as my parents would say. I'm also wondering if I would have whistled more back in college with cheerier tunes...

1) Megadeth, “Angry Again”:

”Enraged my mind starts to smoke.”

2) Smashing Pumpkins, “Bullet With Butterfly Wings”:

”Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage.”

3) Pearl Jam, “Porch”:

”What the f*** is this world coming to?”

4) Metallica, “One”:

”Darkness! Imprisoning me...”

5) Korn, “Freak on a Leash”:

”Something takes a part of me...”

6) Nirvana, “Territorial Pissings”:

It's not what he sings; it's how he sang it.

7) Nine Inch Nails, “Something I Can Never Have”:

”Just a fading f***ing reminder of who I used to be.”

8) Alice in Chains, “Angry Chair”:

”I'm a dull boy, work all day. So Im strung out anyway.”

9) Rage Against the Machine, “Killing in the Name”:

“F*** you; I won't do what you tell me!”

10) Public Enemy, “Fight the Power”:

“Our freedom of speech is freedom or death. We got to fight the powers that be!”

*(OK, maybe some of them were on drugs)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Janet said...

So far I think we have one in common, though I agree with most of the inclusions on your list. I think a lot of those songs scare me more than anger me, which isn't what I was going for:)

As for having wedding planning inspiring the topic, I'm sure on a subconscious level that is completely possible.:)

8/23/2007 9:14 AM  
Blogger Lorna said...

I can't get on Janet's site lately, so I don't know what she means by angry tunes---you and Darrell seem on the same track, although I thought his Billy Joel choice uncharacteristic.

Since I listen to m usic and hear tunes, not lyrics, I'm no good at this game, but I am impressed by how knowledgeable you guys are to just knock off a batch of anger-related music like that.

8/23/2007 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be so much impressed as scary...okay so some of us have never seen MCF's face but consider this: if you do at one point in the future, won't you be wondering about the anger bubbling away under the surface?

MCF = human equivalent of the city in Ghostbusters II ;-)

8/24/2007 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SCARED...dammit! :-)

8/24/2007 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home