2.07.2007

PBW: A Fair Day

It's hard to believe that in over three decades of traveling on the Long Island Expressway, passing the iconic towers and globe from the 1964 World's Fair, I've never actually taken any photos of it. In fact, I had only been to Flushing Meadows Corona Park once back in college for a picnic with my friends, and I didn’t have a camera with me that day.

I guess when you live near or pass something often enough, it doesn't hold the same appeal that it does for tourists. I wonder if at this very moment, a French MCF doppelganger is blogging about his visit to the Eiffel Tower? Doubtful. I had only heard about the World's Fair from my mom's stories of attending it, but the remnants were clearly overlooked subjects for my camera.

I bundled up on Sunday, expecting it to be cold, and clear blue skies aside, it was only seventeen degrees. I kept my camera inside my jacket for fear of it cracking, and I'm happy to say that both it and myself survived my latest Photo Blog Wednesday quest. I actually couldn't have picked a better day, and was fortunate to have my pick of parking spaces. There may have been some shows in the nearby museum or theater as the lot was full by the time I left, but I had plenty of clear shots of my outdoor subjects. Even if you're a fellow New Yorker, won't you look on, and be a tourist for one day? To look upon the same sights through new eyes is a remarkable experience...

























Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger SwanShadow said...

Three words: Men in Black.

"Hand over whatever galaxy you're holding, step away from your busted-a** vehicle, and put your hands on your head."

2/07/2007 4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad someone made the reference. I meant to include it, but forgot. Awesome.

2/08/2007 5:28 PM  
Blogger RC said...

wow! Those are some great pictures!!!

2/10/2007 12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home