6.27.2006

BP RETURNS

In anticipation of Superman Returns, I picked up the documentary Look, Up in the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman on DVD last week. I actually picked up quite a few Superman-related items: the third volume of Superman the Animated Series; the second season of Justice League; the third season of Lois & Clark; and the unfortunately slightly sub par Brainiac Attacks. The documentary was excellent, and may be the most thorough account of the character's history I've ever seen. Superman has appeared in comic books, comic strips, radio serials, commercials, merchandise, movies, cartoons and television. There are sad moments in the documentary, such as the tragic deaths of George Reeves and Christopher Reeve. There are funny moments too, such as George Reeves' guest appearance on I Love Lucy(“You've been married to this woman for 15 years? And they call me Superman!”). Superman has had his ups and downs over the years, and even died, but he always returns, and there's always a certain excitement that precedes each new incarnation. Scenes in the documentary from the first episodes of Smallville reminded me of the great potential I first saw in that show.

Long-time readers may recall my first and most successful Blog Party. Over the course of last year I would hold six more, with declining popularity and participation. By Blog Party 7, which was on the dry topic OF blog parties themselves, it was clear from the subject matter as well as the response that the well had run dry. A lot of time has passed however, and there are some new faces around here, and so, inspired by the return of a hero, I've decided to host another party. It gives me great pleasure to announce BLOG PARTY RETURNS!

Here's how these things work:

1) The host establishes a date for the event and chooses a topic to blog about.

2) On that day, neighboring blogs may discuss the same topic from their point of view, linking to the host's post.

3) The host may design a logo to commemorate the event, which other participating sites may copy to their servers and display as a link to the host in their post as well.

4) Everyone comments on everyone else's posts, “mingling” with the guests. A good time is had by all.

5) The next day, the host posts links in an “afterparty” post, collecting everyone who commented and participated in one place.

Participants may post links to their contributions in the comments section of the post that day, or send me an e-mail at MCFSPU@hotmail.com.

The party will be held on Thursday, July 6th. The topic of the party will be:

WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS IN YOUR LIFE THAT HAVE RETURNED?

Answers can range from sequels to loved ones coming back from war to lost pets finding their way home. Life is change, and all things inevitably leave, which is why it's so special on those rare occasions that they come back. Feel free to look through my archived past parties for inspiration and enlightenment. Think of this as a M.C.F.A.T. essay question that I answer first. Tell your friends. Tell your friends' friends. Tell your friends' neighbors. Tell your neighbors' friends. Tell your neighbors' friends' neighbors' cousins' third uncles' grandson. Just don't tell that pesky Mxyzptlk. I look forward to seeing everyone's posts on the 6th!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger MCF said...

(In case anyone reads this before I'm able to upload the party logo, my ISP is upgrading something and I'm unable to upload the logo right now, hence the broken image. Hopefully it will be resolved soon, making this comment unnecessary.)

6/27/2006 12:28 AM  
Blogger The Unseen One said...

BAH!!!
I shall be BOYCOTTING this and ALL OTHER Blog Parties!!!

6/27/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Scott Roche said...

I'm down like a clown.

6/27/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Woah! I almost confused this for a M.C.F.A.T. and did it today. What a serious faux pas that would've been on my part.

See you on the 6th, then!

6/27/2006 11:23 AM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Yay! Blog Party Returns.
Return of the Blog Party!
Blog Party 2.0!
Night of the living... oh nevermind.

I'll be here.

It's the only kind of party I go to.

6/27/2006 2:41 PM  
Blogger kevbayer said...

Here's mine.

7/06/2006 9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home